Author Topic: Drumblade MIs - Elizabeth GORDON  (Read 2557 times)

Offline dkpeddie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Drumblade MIs - Elizabeth GORDON
« on: Monday 06 April 15 18:17 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm curious about the MI for stone 300 (Elizabeth GORDON), Drumblade Kirkyard, if anyone has it.  Thanks...

--Daniel

Offline mitchell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Drumblade MIs - Elizabeth GORDON
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 April 15 11:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Daniel,

From the MI booklet - The Kirkyard of Drumblade -
MI for Stone 300 -
"Opposite to this stone lies the body of Elizabeth Gordon d.1 May 1802 in 21st yr, wife of Capt Henry of Corse and dau. of Rev. Robert Gordon Drumblade"

Stone 299 -
"Here lie the remains of Rev. Robert Gordon minister of Drumblade d. 27 Nov. 1820 aged 70, his spouse Jean Farquhar d. 25 June 1829 aged 79."

Elaine
Mitchell, Turner, Henderson, Archibald, Smith, Walker, Burgess, Alexander, Margetts, Joss - Aberdeenshire
Proctor, Morrison, Henderson, Burgess, McWilliam, Green, Grant, Young, Dey, Allan - Banffshire
Proctor, Logie, Grant - Moray
McRae - Ross & Cromarty and Invernesshire
Clunie, Philp - Fife

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline dkpeddie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 April 15 16:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much, Elaine.  This means that the inscription quoted in the Thanage of Fermartyn (p. 241) is pretty much complete and accurate, apart from the reference to Eliza instead of Elizabeth.

This is a shot in the dark, but as long as I have this thread open on the topic of Elizabeth Gordon of Drumblade, would you happen to know if there's mention in the kirkyard of another one, Bessie or Bessy GORDON, wife of John PEDDIE?  She wouldn't be a principal or indexed entry, as far as I can tell, but I'm wondering if her name appears in the text of someone else's inscription (likely a Gordon or a Peddie).

--Daniel

Offline mitchell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 April 15 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Daniel,

I've had a look through the booklet again and though there are 3 entries for Peddies, none of them mention a Bessie/Bessy Gordon. I also read all the entries for Gordon but didn't find her in any of them either.
regards
Elaine
Mitchell, Turner, Henderson, Archibald, Smith, Walker, Burgess, Alexander, Margetts, Joss - Aberdeenshire
Proctor, Morrison, Henderson, Burgess, McWilliam, Green, Grant, Young, Dey, Allan - Banffshire
Proctor, Logie, Grant - Moray
McRae - Ross & Cromarty and Invernesshire
Clunie, Philp - Fife

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline dkpeddie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 April 15 23:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for taking the time to do that, Elaine.  It's been a huge help!

--Daniel