Author Topic: Marriage  (Read 1240 times)

Offline Petea1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage
« on: Tuesday 07 April 15 18:10 BST (UK) »
I am searching for a possible marriage for my 2nd great grand uncle Richard Livingston.
On the 1841 census, for Macclesfield, Cheshire, UK Richard 'Levinson' can be found living with his parents and four sisters.
Richard was born c1824 in Ireland and can't be found after the 1841 census was taken. However, I think I might of found him living in Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA.
I think this might possibly be my Richard Livingston has he's been enumerated being born c1824 and from Ireland or England. A couple of the census returns in the US say Richard is a 'silk weaver' which Richard worked as back here in the UK.
If anyone can help me find a marriage for a Richard Livingston(e)/Levingston(e) and a Maria Sharratt here in the UK or US I would be most grateful for any help.
Thank you and kind regards.

Offline cheerio6400

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 April 15 02:38 BST (UK) »
It looks like Richard Livingston appears twice on the 1850 US Census.  He was recorded on 24 July as living (or perhaps visiting) with the Sharratt family in Philadelphia.  It appears that he and Maria are not yet married.  Then on 14 September he and Maria Livingston were recorded as living in Camden, New Jersey.  Both have silk weaver as his occupation, although the first record lists his place of birth as England, while the second lists Ireland.  Charles (son?) is also included on both records. So either Richard and Maria were married between these dates in 1850, or a mistake was made on the first record.  Either way, I think their marriage probably took place in Philadelphia, or possibly New Jersey, around 1850.  Unfortunately, I don't think civil registration of marriages in Philadelphia began until 1860, but I hope that narrowing down the place and date will help with your search. 

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 April 15 23:14 BST (UK) »
Not found a marriage, but Richards son who marries Rhoda

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FZLT-T82

son Phineas as Phineas Sharratt Livingston on draft registration

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11840-119191-62?cc=1861144
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester