Author Topic: Lookup pls: Ellingham / St Mary Extra / Ringwood - 1907 to 1910  (Read 2906 times)

Offline goddles1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Lookup pls: Ellingham / St Mary Extra / Ringwood - 1907 to 1910
« on: Saturday 11 April 15 06:24 BST (UK) »
I am researching the BUSH family, who came from the Ellingham / Ringwood / Fordingbridge area.  In particular, I am trying to locate the baptism of a child who was born in March 1907.  I have the birth certificate, but I am hoping that the baptism record (if found) can provide additional clues to the parent's origins.

The birth cert. shows Winifred Norah Bush TURNER was born March 1907 at Pond Side Farm, Millbrook (western outskirts of Southampton) - parents = Ellen Turner, formerly Bush and William George Turner, a ship's engineer.  The birth was registered 28 March 1907 at Millbrook (South Stoneham district) by the informant, Ellen Turner, mother, Pond Side Farm, Millbrook.

I have not yet located any Bush-Turner marriage which, in addition to the child being given the mother's maiden name as a third Christian name, leads to the possibility that the parents were not married. 

I have checked Millbrook parish baptism but could not locate a likely entry.  An Ellen Bush, who was born at Ellingham (abt 1892) is listed in the 1901 census with her family at Highwood, parish of Ellingham.  In 1911 Ellen's mother was still at Highwood.  As such I am wondering (a hunch) whether the Ellen Bush from Highwood could be the mother of Winifred Norah (also recorded as Norah Winifred) and if so, that perhaps the baby was taken 'home' to Ellingham (or Ringwood etc) to be baptised.  Given the question mark about parent's marriage, the child could have been baptised as BUSH or TURNER!

(There was another Ellen Bush, who came from Fritham, who I am also considering as a possible mother but need to firstly rule out any Ellingham/Ringwood connection.)

A check of the records for Ellingham and surrounding parishes would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any assistance given.
goddles

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup pls: Ellingham / St Mary Extra / Ringwood - 1907 to 1910
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 April 15 17:01 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at the 1911 entry?  She is shown as Winifred N Bush aged 4

can provide additional clues to the parent's origins.

Baptismal entries do not have that type of info
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 April 15 17:17 BST (UK) »
The family in 1901 are as follows:

Frank Bush 32 b Whippingham  IOW
Annie L  33 b Wivenhoe Essex
Mary W  9 b East Cowes IOW
Dorothy  7 b Whippingham  IOW
Louisa A  4  died 1903 b Whippingham  IOW
Norah K E  3 died 1904 b Whippingham  IOW
RG13 Piece 1019 Folio 33 Page 12

Annie Louisa was nee Eldridge according to marriage entry 1891so no Turner connection there
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 April 15 17:27 BST (UK) »
The 1881 has Frank Bush with parents but no Ellen in household.  His mother was 52 in 1881 so no children after 1881

Offline goddles1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 April 15 11:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you CaroleW for replying.  The child in the 1911 census is the correct person but Frank & Annie are not her birth parents - she was 'adopted' by them!  I already have very detailed information about the adoptive parents, their family and their ancestry, etc.  I'm trying to find information regarding Winifred's birth parents, in particular her mother - Ellen Bush.

As for what is recorded at baptism, I have seen numerous entries where the minister has written notes in addition to that designated by the columns of the pre-printed registers.  For instance, I have seen "parents not married", or in the case of a young mother, the minister has written below the mother's name, "daughter of XX".   In this particular case, the mere existence of Winifred's baptism in the stated area would help to link Winifred to the Ellen Bush who came from that area.

Thanks again
goddles

Offline Britkiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 July 16 15:17 BST (UK) »
I wondered if you had found anything more about Winifred Norah Bush Turner?  The Ellen Bush in Ringwood is in our family tree. I haven't been able to find out much about her.  Her sister Annie Bush is the link to our tree.  She had 2 children out of wedlock, one of which was adopted (whether that was officially isn't clear as he still kept his surname Bush).

Offline goddles1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 July 16 14:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Britkiwi

Thanks for contacting.  Unfortunately I've not yet located her baptism record but I'm still keen to locate her natural mother. As such, I'm hoping you can help me.

Firstly, are you aware of 'your' Ellen having a child in 1907, and has the surname Turner popped up in your research?

When you say,
She had 2 children out of wedlock, one of which was adopted (whether that was officially isn't clear as he still kept his surname Bush)
do you mean that it was Ellen who had the two children?  If so, is one of those children 'my' Winifred Norah (Norah Winifred)?  If not, what were the children's names?

I've gathered quite a few records relating to the Bush families and guess Ellen's sister, Annie, is the one showing in 1891 Census - born 1880.  Other than that, I've not been able to place her in my records.  What was her married name?  Also, do you know who Ellen married?

Finally, have you seen my reply to your other posts about the Bush family?

I'm sorry about all the questions but any snippet may help to answer the big question about the identity of the mother of Winifred Norah (Norah Winifred)? 

Thank you
goddles