Author Topic: Thomas Roper  (Read 3041 times)

Offline cinny22

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Roper
« on: Thursday 23 April 15 07:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Every one, Was wondering if any one could help me with regards to an Adopted Uncle? His name was Thomas Roper, (sometimes) he used Thomas Vincent Roper. He entered my Mother's family around 1925 at Silkwood, Qld. With in the family I have found a "rumour" It was reported to me that his parents were killed in an accident and that he was orphaned and then brought up by his Aunt and Uncle. This "accident" was reported to be in Brisbane. Qld.
I have obtained his 1st World War records and it states: Thomas Roper, Army number 5417, joined on the 27th December 1917. He was 18yrs and 9mths old. It goes on to state that he is British Born on the 03rd of March 1899. He is a Labourer and is Single.
His next of Kin: Aunt. Elizabeth Roberts, Pitsworth, Queensland.
I have been able to track him through out his life, in the Voting registers, but it's his early life which is such a mystery!
He never married or had children and passed away in Innisfail, Qld around 1985.
I have tried to find his family via his Aunt Elizabeth, but have had no luck
I would love to know about his parents and his direct family.
Could some one point me in the right direction?
Any help would be appreciated. Best wishes, Shirley Anne Jones.

Offline ennael

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Roper
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 April 15 00:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,
  Do you know his parents' names please?

Edit to add, from QLD BDM Online:

I think his mother is Anna POOK who was first married to Charles Edward WILSON and then to James ROPER.
Anna POOK and  Charles Edward WILSON being the parents of Alice Undine  WILSON, the name mentioned in Thomas' war service record..
 I have not found Thomas' birth under any of the posted surname.
Possibly you have this information already.

Leanne

Offline cinny22

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 April 15 05:04 BST (UK) »
Sorry, think I have just found the right way of replying.......
No, do not have any of this information and I do not know Thomas's birth parents, altho on his Army Records he states that he is British Born........if this helps?
I have searched my mind and the records for his Aunt Elizabeth ROBERTS, in various ways, but just can't seem to get onto the right track. If only I could find Her marriage, we may get somewhere, don't you think?
Then was she married here or in England............I have tried but have come up empty.
Yesterday I was searching the shipping records, seeing that he states that he was British Born, they must have come out this way at this period? But no luck either.
Many many thanks for your help, any thing you may find will be of enormous value to me.
Best wishes, Shirley.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 April 15 05:14 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I think you will find that his Service records show he was born Brisbane, Queensland. 

The question 3 on the WWII Mobilization Attestation Form was "Are you a British Subject" and the reply was BRITISH N.B.B.S.    So that NBBS is the then standard abbreviation for Natural Born British Subject.    So, as he was born in Brisbane, on 3 March 1899, he was automatically a Natural Born British Subject.   The Australian Constitution does not actually define Australian Citizenship, and it was not until after the WWII that the concept of national citizenship was legislated. 

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 April 15 05:19 BST (UK) »
Service records show his next of kin was his Aunt,  Mrs Elizabeth ROBERTS,  Pitsworth Qld.   His permanent address on WWI attestation 27 Dec 1917 was Care of Mr C E WILSON of Moggill, via Brisbane, Qld. 

Service Records confirm that both his parents were dead when he enlisted for WWI.   (page 5 of 42)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline cinny22

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 April 15 05:31 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the information. You are all wonderful!! It's great to have "fresh" eyes. I will now try and locate birth Certificate..........but I still feel the "key" will be the Aunt Elizabeth Roberts???
Regards, Shirley.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 April 15 05:39 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth POOK married Samuel ROBERTS in 1894 as per Qld BDM online.   #C1717

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 April 15 06:21 BST (UK) »
I think this is Thomas ROPER’s parents marriage:
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/172543502 Telegraph 21 April 1894
ROPER-POOK
On April 18 (1894) at the residence of the bride’s mother, by the Rev J H Hooper,  James Roper of Geebung, to Ann Pook, fourth daughter of the late John Pook of Moogill. 

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/170211790  Telegraph 8 April 1882.   Death of a John POOK of MOGGILL, formerly of Devonshire England, aged 57 years

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/170213289 Telegraph 6 April 1882  Brisbane hospital ….. John POOK, admitted 24 March, died 25th March, peritonitis. 

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/171938631 Telegraph 20 Oct 1894 marriage of Elizabeth POOK and Samuel ROBERTS.  Elizabeth … youngest daughter of Ann POOK and the late John POOK of Moggill.

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 April 15 06:30 BST (UK) »
Funeral announcement Queenslander 19 June 1915

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/22298061

ROPER -29th of May, at Brisbane, Ann Roper, widow of the late James Roper, of  Gowrie, Darling Downs, aged 49 years.   

ADD
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/174896293 7 Nov 1908 with Probate announcement re James Roper's death as 23 Oct 1904 (of Gowrie Estate)

Add
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-23668-46273-24?cc=1927198

Cheers,  JM