Author Topic: Red Rose  (Read 12848 times)

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
Re: Red Rose
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 25 April 15 13:10 BST (UK) »
The current policy of Mebyon Kernow is not for independence but for greater self-government of Cornwall through the establishment of a Cornish Assembly. This would mean that key decisions regarding Cornwall can be made by locally elected politicians and not by disinterested ministers or unelected civil servants in Westminster.

Also, though considered an English county, Cornwall is historically a Celtic land and considered along with Brittany, Scotland, Ireland, Wales and the Isle of Man, to be one of the Celtic Nations.

SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 25 April 15 15:02 BST (UK) »
Going back to the red rose of the title, we Lancastrians claim the red rose* as our own, while our mortal enemies, the Yorkshire tykes claim the white rose.  It all goes back to the 15th century Wars of the Roses, won by Lancastrian Henry Tudor, who calmed things down by marrying Margaret of York.  He didn't, however, end the hostility between the two counties - what about the current Wars of the Roses cricket matches?

*...and who gave the Labour Party permission to claim the red rose as their symbol, I want to know? >:( 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 25 April 15 16:48 BST (UK) »

*...and who gave the Labour Party permission to claim the red rose as their symbol, I want to know? >:(

Well, it wouldn't be a Yorkshireman, would it?  ;D ;D  Plus, it depends on which Riding you're from, as to which way up you fly the white rose, especially on 1 August - Yorkshire Day  :o

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline polly50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 25 April 15 17:08 BST (UK) »
I have to confess Seoras I've never seen that flag before! Thank you for posting it.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 25 April 15 17:19 BST (UK) »
No problem Polly   :)

There is one flying here at this years march to St. Piran's Oratory.

SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline trish58

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 25 April 15 23:23 BST (UK) »
Going back to the red rose of the title, we Lancastrians claim the red rose* as our own, while our mortal enemies, the Yorkshire tykes claim the white rose.  It all goes back to the 15th century Wars of the Roses, won by Lancastrian Henry Tudor, who calmed things down by marrying Margaret of York.  He didn't, however, end the hostility between the two counties - what about the current Wars of the Roses cricket matches?

I had my own battle of the "War of the roses" as a Lancashire lass married to a Yorkshire man my birthday, anniversary, flowers were always white roses from my late husband I think he was just trying to remind me that Yorkshire ruled..

Trish
Rae, Feeney, Singleton, Appleton, Agnew, McKeachie,
Fury, & many more

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 26 April 15 07:40 BST (UK) »
The Celtic Nations flag is often seen on yachts in the harbours and marinas on the Isle of Man!

But we're allowed, I suppose, because the Isle of Man is indeed separate from the UK! ;D ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 26 April 15 09:35 BST (UK) »
The Celtic Nations flag is often seen on yachts in the harbours and marinas on the Isle of Man!

But we're allowed, I suppose, because the Isle of Man is indeed separate from the UK! ;D ;D

KG, I have been following this thread with interest. Most seem to have grea t allegiance to their birth place. You are obviously very proud to come from Isle of Man, how far back do you family go?. My father's family have been in West Sussex since 1500 so I consider myself Sussexish! I have never lived anywhere else.

Would you ever consider moving to a foreign land, by which I mean England ;D
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 26 April 15 09:53 BST (UK) »
You have me all wrong, Jane!

I have lived on the Isle of Man for just 20 or so years - which still makes me a "comeover", although some may consider me to be a "stopover"!

My paternal family line is English through and through, all the way back to the 1550's!
Even my maternal line is 99% English. The exception being mum, who was born in Wales of |English parents! ::)

I have lived in England, Isle of Man, and the Netherlands; but consider myself to be British. ;D

And, while my line has been in the West Country for the past 170 years, before that the Garrad line came from Suffolk and Essex.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)