Author Topic: Im i missing something ??  (Read 1323 times)

Offline AmyK88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Im i missing something ??
« on: Saturday 25 April 15 22:32 BST (UK) »
I have a 1st cousin, 2x removed Charles Arthur KENNETT, part of the Liverpool Kings 13th batt. KIA. 16 August 1916, aged 17 yrs. I have found service records on Ancestry and although not specifically mentioned, a war diary. Also found him mentioned on Thiepval memorial, in France. He was part of battle of the Somme. Finally found some newspaper clippings on the anniversary of his death. Any others ways I could find any further info ??
KENNETT:
East Dean, East Sussex
Everton, Liverpool

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Im i missing something ??
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 April 15 22:48 BST (UK) »
Did you see the Register of Effects on Ancestry for him? It shows some money owing and who it was paid to

www.rootschat.com/links/01f7f/

Milly.
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 April 15 02:26 BST (UK) »
He was actually in 10th Battalion - the Liverpool Scottish. They had heavy casualties the previous week attacking Guillemont. The Liverpool Irish (8th Bn) got trapped in the village when they failed to clear out German bunkers. My great uncle was killed on the 9th. Your cousin probably survived that attack only to be attached to 13th Bn on the 16th.

Ken

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 April 15 02:51 BST (UK) »
Hi

There is a book that might be worth reading. Charles Arthur Kennett is listed in the Roll of Honour (just his name, there is no other detail).

The Liverpool Scottish 1900-1919 by A.M. McGilchrist.

Andy

Offline AmyK88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 April 15 20:20 BST (UK) »
Fantastic, that's all. so would it b worth looking at the 10th BN war diaries =, before he was attached to the 13th BN ??
KENNETT:
East Dean, East Sussex
Everton, Liverpool