Author Topic: No head stone  (Read 1218 times)

Offline AdrianGeorge1981

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
No head stone
« on: Saturday 02 May 15 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hi guys my mum buried my dad with my grandparents but as she can't be bother to put his name on the headstone the council have removed it? Could I just buy a headstone and put it in its place  thanks

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: No head stone
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 May 15 00:50 BST (UK) »
Hi, welcome to Rootschat.

The best people to ask are the council or at the cemetery office. Each place has its own rules, so there is no point people here telling you one thing if the council where he is buried says another. For instance it might depend on who owns the grave.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline healyjfch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 May 15 09:45 BST (UK) »
Do you know for certain that the Council removed headstone.
Some stonecutters make repairs / add names to headstones in their workshop.
Perhaps your mother is getting work done to headstone.

I know my parents headstone was moved to stone cutters workshop, it had got knocked over in Storm Darwin February 2014. The headstone was repaired and returned in a week.

You could offer financial assistance to your mother.

Offline AdrianGeorge1981

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 May 15 11:33 BST (UK) »
No the headstone was removed to put my dad's name on it but the mum didn't pay so the headstone hasn't gone back

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 May 15 11:51 BST (UK) »
No the headstone was removed to put my dad's name on it but the mum didn't pay so the headstone hasn't gone back

If that's the case then the council has nothing to do with the headstone being removed. If the stonemason was paid their fee then you might be able to get the headstone returned but might need permission of the registered owner of the plot (do not assume this is your mother- it could be the last registered was the person who originally purchased the plot or another relative). In any case, you need to contact the council and the stonemason.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 May 15 12:34 BST (UK) »

Slightly different to how you made it sound in your first post, where it sounded as if the council had removed the headstone because it was blank. I suggest you approach your mother and ask if you can pay the stone mason for his work and have the headstone returned. This would be much cheaper than having a completely new headstone made. As previously said though, it does depend who owns the grave, as they are probably the only ones that the council will deal with. Obviously headstones can't just be erected by anyone, otherwise you could end up with several on the same grave.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk