Author Topic: royal engineer  (Read 3605 times)

Offline brucecullen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
royal engineer
« on: Tuesday 05 May 15 16:29 BST (UK) »
not very good at this but still trying to put together information on my great grandfather James McClure who was a private with the royal engineers at Camden fort and was married there on may 6-1872 to Ellen Coleman. father was Patrick Coleman. James McClure's father was Robert McClure.
Ellen was born in county cork about 1848 and James was born in Ireland about 1844. Entire family lived in Cardiff per the 1891 census. hope to find additional information on James McClure's service with the royal engineer's. it would seem that the family moved around a bit. Liverpool, Glasgow, county cork, Cardiff. any help or suggestions greatly appreciated   :D
Best Regards, Bruce

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: royal engineer
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 01:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Bruce

His service record does not appear to have been kept. Suggesting he did not receive a pension. There are about ten muster books covering 1872. In order to know which includes him you need his Company. Findmypast's 1871 index includes two men in the RE with that name. One was in 15th Coy attached 33rd. The second was in 27th Coy.

There are two books covering detachments and something called 'General States'. So you could still have five books to look up. Once you have the right man you will have to look at other years - before and after 1872 - in order to follow his (likely) ten years service.

His rank would be Sapper.

Ken

Offline brucecullen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 04:44 BST (UK) »
Good Evening Ken.....So if I understand you correctly, I need to look on findmypast muster books for 1871 index. I am pretty sure he did not remain in the military as a career. seems like they were busy moving around and making babies....yes, I think I have seen a reference to "sapper" in doing my research. I was really surprised to find out he was in the Royal Engineers and apparently serving at fort Camden. Did not know he was in the military until I found the marriage certificate. Thank you so much for your help. I will see what I can find. In case you are wondering his son Thomas McClure was my grandfather and was married to Mary White of Crosshaven.  he was in the Mercantile Marine and his ship was sunk by a German U-boat during WW I. Grandmother remarried Robert Cullen. My father James kept the McClure name until he enlisted in the US Army during WW II at which time he reluctantly changed it to Cullen. 
Kindest Regards,
Bruce
Best Regards, Bruce

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 04:48 BST (UK) »
Findmypast just has the 1871 index...i think what Ken is saying,is that using the 1871 index,,you have 2 possible matches,,,you would then have to visit the National archives and look in the muster books .
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline brucecullen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 05:01 BST (UK) »
Hello My Friend. can the national archives be searched on line? I tried to research seamen's records for Thomas McClure and apparently they were destroyed for the years in question. I will see what I can find....thanks for the tip.   :D

Kindest Regards,
Bruce 
Best Regards, Bruce

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 05:25 BST (UK) »
the 2 men in the 1871 index appear to be the same man,,,as the service number is the same.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 05:31 BST (UK) »
this James McClure who was transferred to Woolwich in 1871 appears in the 1871 census in Woolwich. He is stated as born in Scotland...so maybe not your man ?

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 07:13 BST (UK) »
The 1861 and 1871 indexes on FindMyPast are snapshots, using the muster books for Qtr2 of the year mentioned. Musters books are not online. |if the man/men listed is not yours you will have to go through the c10 muster books covering the RE for the year he married.

It may be better to ask the RE museum if they know which Company provided the detachment at Camden Fort. Once you have his company you can then go to that muster book in Kew, to confirm; and then trace his service as suggested previously.

Ken

Offline brucecullen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 14:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ken for the assistance. I will start looking into that. typically how long were enlistments in the Royal Army? In the US they are usually 4 years of active service and two years as inactive reserve. In essence, its a 4 year enlistment. should one stay in and make a career of it you can retire with 20 years.  ;D

Kindest regards,
Bruce
Best Regards, Bruce