Author Topic: Rochdale occupation changes in the 1800's focus on 2 families  (Read 1733 times)

Offline wlfndl

• RootsChat Extra
  • woolfenden, hodgson, clegg, walker
    • View Profile
Rochdale occupation changes in the 1800's focus on 2 families
« on: Wednesday 06 May 15 22:06 BST (UK) »
I have been searching the Woolfenden line (from the Redlumb / Closebarn area) and I have noticed many occupational changes in short periods of time. This is making it hard to determine if I have the same family. Does it look like I have attached the right people to the right parents?
_________________ WOOLFENDEN of RED LUMB ______________________ St James Ashworth

1795 December 27 Jonathan Woolfenden of Redlum Weaver (burial St Chad’s)
1815 February 15 Alice widow of John Wolfenden of Spotland age 45

1800 about James Wolfenden died 1840 September 13 of Red Lumb Spotland age 40
James & Betty Wolfenden of Red Lumb in Spotland a weaver
1826 January 29 John
1828 January 6 Alice
1834 December 28 Abraham died 1840 October 25 age 6
1837 about Samuel died 1853 January 8 age 16

1805 about Mary wife of Jonathan Wolfenden died 1839 April 6 of Walmsley age 34

Jonathan & Mary Woolfenden of Red Lumb a weaver
1824 April 4 John father is a weaver
1826 August 13 Jonathan father is a woolen weaver
1828 October 5 Simeon father is a weaver died 1829 August 9 of Cheesden in Spotland age 11 months

Jonathan & Mary Wolfenden of Top of Cheesden a farmer, a weaver
1833 July 28 James, born 19 May 1830 father is a farmer died 1845 March 2 of Red Lumb age 14
1833 July 28 Simeon father is a farmer 1839 February 10 of Walmsley age 6
1835 July 19 Thomas father is a weaver
1837 August 27 William father is a weaver

James & Alice Wolfenden of Red Lumb a collier (i assume he is brother to Jonathan of Redlumb)
1848 November 19 Betty

John & Mary Wolfenden of Marcroft Gate in Woolstenholm a weaver *
1829 March 1 Fanny

John & Mary Wolfenden of Meadow Head a farmer
1833 July 9 Alice
1836 May 1 John
1838 July 15 Betty
1841 January 31 Margaret

Sarah Wolfenden of Birtle a spinster
1834 August 31 Sarah
1843 December 31 Thomas, born 12 July 1842

_________________ WOOLFENDEN of CLOSEBARN ______________________ St James Ashworth
Jonathan Woolfenden, Sr of Close Barn Ashworth born about 1780, died 1852 September 5 age 72
his wife
Frances ____________ of Close Barn Ashworth born about 1779, died 1828 February 24 age 49

Their son Jonathan Wolfenden of Close barn Ashworth born about 1804, died 1858 March 13 age 54
He was a weaver and a farmer
his wife
Mary

their children:
1825 March 13 John father is a weaver
1830 March 7 James father is a weaver
1832 August 5 Ann father is a weaver died
1834 about Robert died 1846 May 14 Robert son of Jonathan & Mary Wolfenden of Close Barn age 18
1835 February 1 Ann daughter of Jonathan & Mary Wolfenden of Close Barn age 2 1/2
1835 February 15 Frances father is a farmer
1837 July 9 Betty father is a farmer
1839 December 29 Mary father is a farmer died
1840 January 16 Mary Ann daughter of Jonathan & Mary Wolfenden of Close Barn age 2 months
1841 August 8 Edward father is a farmer

John & Ann Wolfenden of Close Barn a laborer
1848 August 20 Elizabeth Ann
i live in massachusetts, i am researching Woolfenden, Hodgson, Walker, Clegg, from the Rochdale / Oldham areas.
Jonathan Woolfenden - Jane Hodgson - Timothy, James, Robert, and Richard Woolfenden
Richard Hodgson, John Woolfenden
Lived at:  Spotland, Redlumb, Castleton, Rochdale, Oldham, Pit Bank, Wardleworth, St. Helen's

Offline fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rochdale occupation changes in the 1800's focus on 2 families
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 May 15 08:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,
 There is no problem with the people being farmers and weavers. The weaving in the Rochdale area was more often with wool rather than in the big cotton mills and was more of a " cottage industry" prior to the mid 1800's. The farmer/weavers probably had some sort of small holding.

see
http://www.link4life.org/discover/local-history-online/trade-industry-and-transport/the-textile-industry

You could try looking for wills as these may name fields and you could get an idea of the size of the farm. Also try old maps.
Bulman, DUR
Butterfield DUR & N. YKS,
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS
Howe, Richardson,Thompson all DUR

William Thompson violin maker Bishop Auckland
William Thompson jun. Violin maker Leeds

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Berger, Fritsch, Ritschel, Pechanz, Funke, Endesfelder & others from Czechia

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 May 15 17:34 BST (UK) »
Also many of the "farmers" held so little land that it couldn't have supported a family. And round there, it often wasn't good land in any case, often, but sheep could be farmed on it.
Unfortunately the staple (fibre length) from the sort of tough sheep that could cope p there was not good to weave. I believe it was about only good for carpets.
Setting up a handloom (that's why so many upper rooms have several windows, to give light for the weaving) was a sensible move. The "piece" of cloth woven on the handloom would on completion be taken to a Piece Hall (there's still one that can give you a good idea of what one was like, with rooms for each merchant, at Halifax) and sold, and yarn brought back to the house, to weave more.
You'll find often in later generations the daughters are often factory workers, that it, power loom weavers, whilst Dad at home is still farmer/weaver at home.
Sometimes the whole family including children are in linked occupations - spinning, heald making, and other things that keep the fabric coming. The same happens as the power looms and factories/mills take over - whole families all work at different aspects of the job.
They almost certainly will be the same family, just adapting to change.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline wlfndl

• RootsChat Extra
  • woolfenden, hodgson, clegg, walker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 May 15 18:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you that makes sense. I also see a lot of mines in the area. So the same father and grandfather listed as a stone getter, stone mason could also fit into the same family.
In the past I was stuck on the occupation as a stone mason which brought me to the Woolfenden's of Gank in Castleton, Rochdale. (not the correct family line)
Wolstenholm and Red Lumb showed up on the records, so that looks like the route to follow.
i live in massachusetts, i am researching Woolfenden, Hodgson, Walker, Clegg, from the Rochdale / Oldham areas.
Jonathan Woolfenden - Jane Hodgson - Timothy, James, Robert, and Richard Woolfenden
Richard Hodgson, John Woolfenden
Lived at:  Spotland, Redlumb, Castleton, Rochdale, Oldham, Pit Bank, Wardleworth, St. Helen's