Author Topic: Which Scottish regiment is this?  (Read 2268 times)

Offline Jules1066

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Which Scottish regiment is this?
« on: Friday 08 May 15 13:26 BST (UK) »
I found this photo in my great-grandmother's photo album. It's a rather splendid picture. I don't recognise him, but he may be a relation on her husband's side. It was taken at Lombardi and Co, 13 Pall Mall London est 1883-1885, photographers to the Royal Family. I have no idea of the regiment, but suspect London-Scottish, rank? But would love to know. My great grandfather's father had moved down from Edinburgh to London so there's a Scottish link...but I was not aware of anyone in the Military Service.  Cousin perhaps?

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Which Scottish regiment is this?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 May 15 16:12 BST (UK) »
Very strongly suggestive of London Scottish ceremonial dress.  Clues are in the kilt which photographs without a pattern, their kilt was/is plain Hodden Grey and the plain Glengarry, dark blue in reality, with cock feathers worn in ceremonial dress.  Rank Sergeant unless the small badge which looks like a star above the rank stripes denotes something else, a real expert will know!  Good pics for comparison at Google images search "London Scottish".  The name of the regiment has changed a number of times (Wikipedia entry better than the regimental web site on this) so the date he was there would be significant in properly describing his regiment.  Do you have any possible names/dates?

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 May 15 20:21 BST (UK) »
I agree London Scottish - the thistle badge is most likely 10th Middlesex London Scottish Rifle Volunteer Corps of 7th Middlesex London Scottish Rifle Voluneer Corps, The "star" above the chevrons could denote staff or Suprintendant Sergeant. The other circular patch above the crossed rifles is a "red cross"  first aider badge.
His Glengarry badge will be the same as the sporran badge.
Great Pic

James

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 May 15 10:21 BST (UK) »
Even better pics of the 7th (London Scottish) Rifle Volunteers (1880 title) at http://www.scottishmilitaryarticles.org.uk/Scottish_RV_12.htm

Your man was also (lower badge) a musketry instructor, trained at the School of Musketry at Hythe,  who would have had responsibility with others for the training in his battalion.  Could well have been a regular soldier on the staff of the Volunteers.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Jules1066

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 May 15 17:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for this incredibly helpful info. The date is based on the time the photo studio was located at 13 Pall Mall. I don't have a name so I'm going to revisit the family tree lines to see if I can locate a cousin on my great grandfather's side. The family name was Cork and mother's maiden name Smith.

Jules

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 May 15 08:54 BST (UK) »
There appears to be two stars either side of the crossed rifles. Each one shows five years in the Volunteers.

The National Archives have several photographs of the London Scottish from circa 1887 to 1899. Unfortunately no musters survive. The museum - http://www.londonscottishregt.org/index.php?id=66 - may have a list. When the Liverpool Scottish were created they produced a book listing all the original members. Maybe the London Scottish did the same.

Ken

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 May 15 16:36 BST (UK) »
As far as the date of the photo is concerned, I would suggest early 20th century, just because businesses used their date of establishment to indicate that they had existed for some time and were therefore solid and reliable.

If you could post a full image showing the photo mount (and the reverse if there is anything on it) it might be possible to narrow down the date because many photographer's studios changed the design of their mounts over the years and there may be dateable examples for comparison.

All the best
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jules1066

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 May 15 23:00 BST (UK) »
The details on the back show the proprietor was Percy Nottcut; he was there between 1886-1893, so the date the photograph was taken should be between those dates I'm guessing now.  Percy dissolved the business by 1894 and went into the music inindustry. (Google search)

I'll take a better picture of the photo tomorrow to show the details.