Author Topic: Please Help gro.gov.uk index numbers??  (Read 1353 times)

Offline cfuller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Please Help gro.gov.uk index numbers??
« on: Friday 08 July 05 05:12 BST (UK) »
I learned on this site that BMD certificates can be ordered via www.gro.gov.uk.  I am in USA and this would be very convenient.  The problem is that to order the older certificates one must know the index numbers. I know the local districts volume and page number, but not the archive's index numbers.  Is there anyway to get it other than the "pay per view" site?

Thank you.

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Please Help gro.gov.uk index numbers??
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 July 05 06:08 BST (UK) »
I think you already have the "index numbers".  the numbers that you have, the volume and page numbers, are from the General Register Index.  But to order online you also need the District where the registration took place, the Quarter of the Registration i.e. March, June, etc. and the Year it took place, depending on what type of certificate you want i.e. death you may be asked for age at death, depends when death occurred (year)
I hope that helps
this is a link to the online service for certificates
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 July 05 14:16 BST (UK) »
Can I just clarify?

Have you found the reference number from a local register office website i.e one in Northumberland?  If so you can use these numbers to order the certificates from the local office.  Newcastle allow you to order online.

Or have you found the national index reference number
e.g. Newcastle upon Tyne 10b 785 Mar qtr 1886 which means the event was registered in Newcastle RD, the volume which covers this area is 10b, the page number is 785 in the March quarter of 1886.

If you have this reference, that is all you need to order the certificate online at the GRO site.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 July 05 14:35 BST (UK) »
Nell,
I assumed! they were the GRO index.  having re-read the posting of course it may not have been since  " I know the local districts volume....."  now I should know better, my mum used to say never assume anything....
thanks for clarifying, I will be more careful

Offline cfuller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 July 05 10:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you both for the information.  The information I have is from the freebmd.rootsweb website.  This does give the month, year, location, volume and page number.  After revisiting the site, I realize this is the information I need to place the order.  In the text of the site it says something to the effect of, now that you know this information click here to order.  The link takes you to the GRO site.  I also was assuming that it was local information and not the index for the GRO.   And my mom used to say, when all else fails read directions.

Thank you.

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 July 05 10:10 BST (UK) »
hi,
 ;D ;D ;D
chuckle chuckle,
I'm glad thats sorted then, now you can order your certificate.