Author Topic: End of ancestry year options?  (Read 2252 times)

Offline chrisaaaaa

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
End of ancestry year options?
« on: Wednesday 03 June 15 23:41 BST (UK) »
I use ancestry with a full subscription and FTM (for local backups really, the website is far more useable).

Ancestry is big but still I often fall into holes and have to ask for lookups on FindMyPast here, sometimes even the free data on familysearch fills the gap.

So ideally I would like to export tree and all media intact into a program that can sync with say FindMyPast (and FS if possible).

I have tried the various export options in FTM, but most of the options just crash every time.

Is what I want possible, should I persevere with FindMyPast and try getting ancestry to fix it?

Or do I just renew at ancestry, presumably they are open to negotiation :)

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: End of ancestry year options?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 June 15 00:38 BST (UK) »
Over and over I see posts about this type of topic......

The questions need to be asked......

Have you done your research to the best capacity of the materials offered on the ancestry website?

Have you a personal copy of the material in a word file or similiar?   Have you incorporated your research into external material you have found or acquired and created files or finished storylines or books?

Have you in some way got a copy of your tree drawn up on large paper or have you made a series of pdfs that finalise parts or all of your tree.....?

Do you have no further need to pay subscription to the website in question or any website providing genealogical or public service indexing?

And to what point are you prepared to continually renew or pay for a service that you acquired simply to do the research in the first place.....?  Or are you going to spend the rest of your days doing genealogy for other folk whether for free or a chargable service.......?

If there is nort left to do and you feel you dont need to pay the subscription ...dont renew it....... put the money into printing your book or exploring other hobbies...

And finally I have to say that while its mighty nice to have subscriptions.... you are making some company somewhere richer just for the sake of "following a trend"....   I havent had a sub of anc for years and just this year my girlfriends has expired...... nor do we want to renew it since we have achieved what we set out to do with the site in question......  we have found other sites and databases such as newspapers or similiar.......  which in turn has lead to purchase of documents the sub site never had or will ever have.....

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 June 15 08:16 BST (UK) »
There is no way of automatically transferring the media from an Ancestry tree to anywhere else! :(

Ancestry provides the GEDCOM export facility, but that's really just a special-format text file.

You would need to copy any media to your own PC, one by one! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 June 15 10:32 BST (UK) »
There is no way of automatically transferring the media from an Ancestry tree to anywhere else! :(

Ancestry provides the GEDCOM export facility, but that's really just a special-format text file.

You would need to copy any media to your own PC, one by one! ;D

That is the only way to do it.. piece by piece by piece!

Copy a person... then copy each and every record/source/cert/photo one by one to that person, then on to next person
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline rayard

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 June 15 14:52 BST (UK) »
Ancestry put up the price of my subscription so I asked for a loyalty discount....I didn't get one! They said they have had to pay out a lot for new records!
They still keep giving free weekends to everyone instead of looking after their paying customers though.  I think they should extend the paid subscription each time they give a "freebie"!!
Their customer service is pretty awful too.
rayard.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 June 15 18:13 BST (UK) »
Well they won't do much if they are selling up!!

http://lisalouisecooke.com/2015/05/ancestry-up-for-sale/
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline chrisaaaaa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 June 15 22:14 BST (UK) »
I did a little more playing with FTM, I actually an export to complete, the result was a txt file (.ged) and no media files, but when I looked inside I could see it had filenames for photos.

I imported this into the myheritage application with no serious issues, and it pulled in the photos.

The only problem is that it did not pull over all the record scans in my tree, I can understand why but it is a pain.

Perhaps I will let it lapse, then see if they make me an offer.

Offline chrisaaaaa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 July 15 22:35 BST (UK) »
I just let it roll over, they took the money on time and relegated me to a guest anyway.

Didn't see that coming :)

Offline Braindead

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Great Great Grandfather, William Cafferata
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 09:13 BST (UK) »
I'm sure that when you complain to customer services they'll either refund your money or restore your access, depending on what you want.

I use Family Tree Maker and really like it, keeping my tree synch'd with Ancestry online, but I work through the program on my PC in order to maintain control of all my images / resources. That way, when my subscription lapses, I'm not stuck.

I also tend not to have an ongoing subscription with Ancestry because my research wouldn't justify it. When I need to, I pay for a month. I know it works out more expensive per month, but it's less expensive than paying for a whole year's subscription and not using it for 9 months of the year.

The same applies to FindMyPast, although I found their settings to opt out of auto renewal are much more hidden than Ancestry's.
"Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"