Author Topic: James Moore b: circa 1835 Devonport  (Read 2855 times)

Offline revereidlehands

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: James Moore b: circa 1835 Devonport
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 November 15 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello phil56
Did you get any further with this? I am particularly interested in whether you proved the marriage or not.

I am coming at it from Edwin's direction, as his descendant, and hit an impasse with the parents (James and Eliz). I managed to get baptism records in Devonport for Edwin and Valentine, but none for any subsequent children.
I recently had a mini break-through when I discovered that the children were all sent to Royal Hospital Greenwich, a school for children of naval service men which sent the boys on to serve themselves. The application form then confirmed the Palace Yard address, and allowed me to match James Moore Sr to a naval service record, but the only additional info that gave was a place of birth in Litchfield. It seems that he died between 1837 and 1841, but I can't yet prove that.

I'm puzzled by the location of the marriage if Eliz came from Kingsbridge. I also think it is strange that they are visitors in the 1851 census, but in Palace yard in 1841 and 1861. Did you get any further?

Offline revereidlehands

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 November 15 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to mention that the school application form confirmed a sibling James as 2yrs 6 months as at December 1837, which seems to match and support your links so far.

Offline phil56

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 November 15 14:39 GMT (UK) »
hi revereidlehands,

I did make more progress with this. The information posted by Devon Maid on 7th June showing Elizabeth Collings and James Moore senior married on 27th Sept 1821 in Maker just over the county boundary in Maker, Cornwall is correct. I found a transcription on FindMyPast which confirmed this, I have not seen the actual image, but it all seems right to me.

I dont think Elizabeth came from Kingsbridge, I know it says that on the 1851 census, but suspect that may be incorrect. 1861 census has her birth place as Devonport and 1871 census has Stoke Damerel. On FindMyPast I did find a probable baptism record for Elizabeth dated 24 June 1791, parents Joseph and Christian Collings, location, Plymouth, Charles the Martyr Anglican church. 

I also purchased the naval service record of James Moore junior (Edwin's brother) from The National Archives which confirmed his date of birth as 29 Sept 1835 and shows the ships he served on up to 1873.  I can send you the file privately if you wish.

I did not manage to find a baptism record for James which was what I originally was looking for when I posted, but thanks to extra research and the help of others here, I made good further progress and was happy with the info I found.

About a year ago, I went to TNA Kew and found the Greenwich Hospital School admission papers for several of my own naval ancestors which really helped me with my paternal line.

Best Wishes, Phil.

Hansford (Dorset, Southampton)
Bateman (Essex)
Wyeth (Hampshire)
Brown (Exeter before 1800, Winchester)
Gard (Devon, Bristol)
Tudball (Exmoor)
Furmedge (Winchester)
Tucker (Bristol)
Blois (Suffolk)