Author Topic: Gggrrrrrr!! Private Tree on Ancestry photos copied (Part 2)  (Read 33802 times)

Offline Lubana

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gggrrrrrr!! Private Tree on Ancestry photos copied (Part 2)
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 26 May 19 18:14 BST (UK) »
My tree is private, and it's not just about living people but I am sick and tired of apologising and explaining myself as to why I put it on ancestry and why it is private (clue not so that people cannot 'steal' information).

If someone is a DNA match to me and they contact me I will send them any information they may need (providing I have it).

It seems to me you want to be "in control" of what people can get from you.  Who would want anything from your tree unless they were a match to you?  So ask yourself why you just can't give it freely and how it's going to hurt you if you do. 

Offline Jed59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 26 May 19 18:49 BST (UK) »
I think that people  research their family history for their own  purposes primarily, and people spend a  lot of time and effort (and  money)  doing so. If someone chooses not  to share the results of that  research  with the world....  possibly because of promises  made to the person from whom thy got it, then surely that  is up to them.  It doesn't fall to anybody else to criticise that choice!
 My tree isn't  online by the way, and if it was, I would certainly  mark it "private"!   but again that would  be  my choice....   I am, however, aware that others feel differently and I respect their choice..  I only ask that they respect  mine  and that of others who choose differently.

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 26 May 19 19:12 BST (UK) »
It seems to me you want to be "in control" of what people can get from you.  Who would want anything from your tree unless they were a match to you?  So ask yourself why you just can't give it freely and how it's going to hurt you if you do.

What's wrong with having some say in who gets to use my work?  Have you never heard of 'name collectors'?  Have you not seen any of the bizarre and frankly stupid 'trees' that these characters throw together?  They copy from anyone's tree, if they can get at it, and I won't give them mine.

If anyone can prove a link, I'll gladly share with them.  What I won't do is argue about my right to be selective.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 26 May 19 19:45 BST (UK) »
My tree is private, and it's not just about living people but I am sick and tired of apologising and explaining myself as to why I put it on ancestry and why it is private (clue not so that people cannot 'steal' information).

If someone is a DNA match to me and they contact me I will send them any information they may need (providing I have it).

I said in my post that I was sick and tired of apologising and explaining myself and yet you post expecting an explanation.  I alsosaid in my post, that it was NOT to stop people taking my information, at least that is not the main reason.  It is mainly to avoid upsetting a lot of people.

So since you insist, here are my reasons, that I have explained several times:

1. My grt grt grandfather was illegitimate and I have no idea if the legitimate line know so I do not know if the ligitimate line know about this nor do I know how they'd take it.  I do not want to end up in a shoot the messenger type situation or be the cause of upset to my 3x grt grandfather's legitimate descendants.  Both my grt grt grandfather and 3x grt grandfather died in the 1880s so not recent deaths.

2. Another great great grandfather (died 1890) spent time in a debtor's prison.  My first cousin once removed is furious about this and wants the evidence buried.  That goes against what is important to me about my hobby which is to strive to accurately record all that I find.  It means it's better to record it but keep it private then my cousin doesn't get too mad.

3. My grt grt grandmother on another line (died 1890s) went to prison for stealing food.  For the same reason as above I want to record it but there are 4 cousins who would be angry at me publishing this.

4.  I previously had my tree searchable I had a woman message me and demand I stop researching her 3 times great grandparents, "or else".  Keep my tree private means that I can continue to research this couple who are also my3 x grt grandparents without encountering the wrath of this woman.

5.  I was given documents for my tree regarding a 4th, 5th and 6th grt parents on one line. It was given on the condition I did not publish it.  I try and keep my promises,seems mean to do otherwise.  Is it really selfish to try and keep promises?

6. I have another relative, a 4th cousin who does not want our MRCA to appear on my tree as he does not want anyone to know that he is realated to "someone like me".  At this point i refer you back to what I said about wanting to accurately record all that I have discovered about my tree and remind you that these people are my direct ancestors.  If I keep my tree private I can have these ancestors on my tree without announcing that I have the same ancestor as he does and keep him content.

7.  I have had it drummed into me since I did my undergrad year that you donot publish something which is a work in progress.  I consider my tree to be very much a work in progress.  It does not feel comfortable to go against all you've been taught.

8. I prefer to share information by communicating with people. Not so much that want to control who gets information or what information they get but as part of my persuit of accuracy.  I would feel incredibly guilty if someone indavertantly copied a mistake I had made.  If we were in comunication I am going to be forced to relook at that section of my tree and am more likely to spot a mistake or they would spot it therby allowing both of us to have the correct information.

You me see all that as selfish, your posts certainly suggest you will but maybe it's OK to be selfish occasionally.  I am not actively hurting anyone by having a private tree.  Conversely if I make it public I would be upsetting a lot of people, some of whom I have known all my life and have to spend time with.  I usually try and avoid deliberately upsetting people.

This is my only hobby,it is important to me to accurately record all I find and to strive to find all records available for each individual in my tree.  Having a private online tree allows me to ahve an off-site back-up of all my reasearch (20 years worth) without upsetting people. If I followed your advice and "just left these people off" that it would leave massive gaps in the 19th century section of my tree (applying to people referred to above).

Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 26 May 19 19:55 BST (UK) »
Well said - and no you do not have to explain yourself and neither do I.

It seems that sometimes people just want to argue about matters that aren't their business.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 26 May 19 21:57 BST (UK) »

I share when asked -   but mainly my tree is private

xin

Offline Slightlyspoken

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 26 May 19 22:26 BST (UK) »

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
View Profile

« Reply #52 on: Today at 14:12 »
Not sure what you mean by "not freely available for use".

I was referring to an earlier post by someone who said their photos had been used despite being private.  What I was trying to say was that I wouldn’t want to offend anyone by using a photo in this way.  Nothing to do with copyright, just being respectful.  I don’t mind sharing but I fully respect that others have their reasons for not doing so.  Personally I keep private what I’m not sure is correct then post it on a public tree when I am. 

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 26 May 19 22:56 BST (UK) »
I was referring to an earlier post by someone who said their photos had been used despite being private.  What I was trying to say was that I wouldn’t want to offend anyone by using a photo in this way.  Nothing to do with copyright, just being respectful.  I don’t mind sharing but I fully respect that others have their reasons for not doing so.  Personally I keep private what I’m not sure is correct then post it on a public tree when I am.
That seems reasonable and polite.
Welcome to RootsChat.   :) :)
Cowban

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Monday 27 May 19 05:44 BST (UK) »

What's wrong with having some say in who gets to use my work?  Have you never heard of 'name collectors'? 

I have heard of 'name collectors' it is the extremely insulting and degrading word archivists use to describe those annoying individuals that come to "their archive" and actually expect to be able to view the records as if they are genuine researchers.

You may be too young (in years or research experience) to remember when such archivists made family historians and genealogist wait until the serious researchers had the documents they required before supplying family historians with the documents they required, you may not have had to stand your ground when the archivist even attempted to turn you away, but I do.

That was one of the reasons why I fought to get documents released to the public in the first place and why I take that phrase to be a disgusting insult that should never cross the lips of any genealogist or family historian.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.