Author Topic: George Henry Fern  (Read 3562 times)

Offline winstoncunningham

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Henry Fern
« on: Thursday 11 June 15 15:45 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

I am seeking information on George Henry Fern, born in Glasgow in 1892 (or perhaps 1893). Please could anyone with access to Scottish birth records let me know if there is any more detail available on this one eg mother, father, precise date etc etc.

With many thanks,
WC

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: George Henry Fern
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 June 15 17:36 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

If you register here http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ you can search the index for free.

You'll need to purchase credits to view the certificate but it should give you the parents names and when they married.

SP are the only source for Scottish certificates.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 June 15 17:49 BST (UK) »
Is it the 2 Fern boys (George Henry & John Charles) listed as visitors on the 1901 English Census you're seeking?

I've had a look on Ancestry but I can't find anything further than the two of them living with Charles & Fanny Packer.

There were 2 George Henry Ferns (exact names) born in Glasgow between 1891 - 1893 on SP's Index, so you would have to have a look at both to see if they offer any clues.

Anne

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 June 15 18:09 BST (UK) »
It does look as though George Henry Fern was registered in twice - the Calmachie  registeration lists as him as illegitimate son of Fanny Fern (Cook - Domestic Servant) born 6 April 1892 at 11 Dunchatton Street Glasgow.  Fanny's address is listed a 55 Duke St Glasgow.  (Record says also registered in Dennistown)

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 June 15 18:24 BST (UK) »
Hi EV, Anne and Kay,

Very many thanks - I shall look on the scotlandspeople index.

Kay - you have hit the target ! The Calmachie registration is the correct one.

Yes, Anne, you have the correct two Fern boys in Hampstead with Charles and Fanny Parker in 1901 in Hampstead. Charles and Fanny were in service with the noted art dealer, Joseph Joel Duveen (1843-1908), at The Elms on Spaniards Road. Duveen's story is amazing, if you get five minutes to Google him and his son. I'm not sure Charles and Fanny ever really married (there is no marriage in England, maybe one in Scotland??), as George Henry and John Charles were Fanny's sons (as Kay found, she was born Fanny Fern - my great-grandma's sister - she and all her sisters were great cooks !). I believe Fanny had 4 sons in all - Bertie Reginald Fern came along in 1896 and Louis Gordon Fern in 1898, both also registered as Ferns.

J.J. Duveen died in 1908 and Charles was put out of work - I have him still with Fanny (plus George, Reginald and Gordon) in 1911 in Fleet Road, Hampstead, claiming a 20 year marriage and all calling themselves Parkers.

Any further thoughts most welcome.

Thanks again to all,
Best wishes,
WC

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 June 15 18:32 BST (UK) »
6 Marriages in Scotland of a Charles Parker between 1890 - 1901 but none to anyone with a surname beginning with 'F'.

Looks like they never got round to getting married?

Anne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 June 15 19:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne

I think that's probably right ! Keeping up appearances for their employer and colleagues, I'd say.

Best wishes and thanks again,
WC

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 June 15 07:20 BST (UK) »
Hi, I was looking at the Scottish records and found the following;

Marriage:

groom:Robert Henderson
bride: Fanny Fern
place: Milton, Glasgow

I wonder could he be the father of John Charles(1891) and George Henry?  Kim

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 June 15 10:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Kim

Many thanks - that's a possible. Wonder then why George Henry would be registered as a Fern?

Have found that 11 Dunchattan Street was a private residence, so possibly that of Fanny's employer. A maternity unit was opened on Duke Street nearby in 1904 (still standing), but too late for George Henry.

Best wishes
WC