Author Topic: New Ancestry layout  (Read 11103 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: New Ancestry layout
« Reply #18 on: Friday 12 June 15 22:16 BST (UK) »
I've been trying the beta version (now called 'new ancestry') on ancestry.com and I really don't like it.  The source information now takes up a full column right inbetween the overview and the other family members.  The other changes are just cosmetic & I'm not bothered one way or another, although Im not keen on what happens if you click on one of the sources. 

If you log onto .com rather than the UK site and under the dropdown on your username you should be able to take a look.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 13 June 15 08:38 BST (UK) »
I wish they'd stop giving you suggestions from your own tree every time you do a search.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 13 June 15 09:24 BST (UK) »
I'm another who doesn't like it.  It's not simply because it's a change, it just doesn't give me the format and results that I want.

I personally have it set to use 'old search', exact, historical records and family trees, advanced.  Last week every time I went into the site it automatically put me into new search regardless of my settings and I had to keep changing it back.   This week it has been okay, thank goodness.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 13 June 15 17:39 BST (UK) »
Me too - getting old (er) and don't like change. Now when I "search" Scottish Records (yes I am from the frozen north !!!) they are mixed up with "others" and it takes twice as long to go through them :'(  >:( Patience is not my middle name.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 14 June 15 08:42 BST (UK) »
the search engine on the Australian SUbscription definitely changed about 6 weeks ago or so......

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 14 June 15 08:57 BST (UK) »
Did the search engine change?
Or was it just the interface that changed?

The interface being the screen where you enter your search criteria.

Like I said, I don't believe the search engine itself has changed? ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 15 June 15 12:59 BST (UK) »
Morning all,

Have just spoken to Ancestry about this "Beta" which I was totally unaware of.

They say that at the moment it is only operational in USA and no date has been set yet for the UK.
Assured me that there will be two sites available - the one we are using at the moment - and the "Beta" version. Couldn't tell me if this new one would cost more!! but that we will all get an email beforehand.

Obviously, there are ongoing updates with the present system and that is what I originally moaned about.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 15 June 15 20:08 BST (UK) »
Morning all,

Have just spoken to Ancestry about this "Beta" which I was totally unaware of.

They say that at the moment it is only operational in USA and no date has been set yet for the UK.
Assured me that there will be two sites available - the one we are using at the moment - and the "Beta" version.

That's interesting, because when you try to leave the Beta / New Ancestry layout there's a huge green banner across the top saying "Soon the new Ancestry will be the only Ancestry". Any money that when they roll it out in the UK the same will apply.

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.