Author Topic: Tappenden family kent  (Read 6958 times)

Offline enwau

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tappenden family kent
« on: Thursday 25 June 15 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hello, hoping to find info on my family Charles Rayner mariner married Anne tappenden born 1745. believe her father was john Tappenden,boughton alulph, kent and anne hurst.Johns parents , Robert Tappenden and Tabitha Goatley,his Robert Tappenden and margaret cooke.I would like confirmation from anyone who knows about this families romany gypsy roots please.the Rayners also married into Moons,Trice,reynolds etc, Example Michael Moon married Jane Reynolds( her siblings Avis,Benini,Jonas)they had a son Samson etc.Hope someone out there can help.Thanks in anticipation! :D

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Tappenden family kent
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 June 15 01:14 BST (UK) »
I am going to rewrite this post because the parable is badly typeset and indistinguishable.

Charles Rayner, mariner married Anne Tappenden born 1745.

Have a belief that Annes father was John Tappenden, of Boughton Alulph, Kent, and mother Anne Hurst.

Johns parents , Robert Tappenden and Tabitha Goatley.

Johns parents subsequently were Robert Tappenden and Margaret Cooke.

I would like to find confirmation from anyone who knows about this families'  "Romany Gypsy Roots" please.

The Rayners also married into Moons, Trice, Reynolds families etc,
An example was Michael Moon married Jane Reynolds( her siblings being Avis,Benini, and Jonas) and of the Moon/Reynolds marriage they gave issue to a  son Samson .

Any help to expand this family structure would be appreciative and any sources to follow up on gypies etc. Thank you.

[This may make it clearer to what your are actually after]

fusion

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 June 15 06:36 BST (UK) »
Hi.  Enwau. Why do you think you have a connection in the Romany community? Is there any other info? I don't recognize the surnames. But I have travelled mainly in the north and Midlands of England. What did they do for a living? Try Romany genes. Romany jib both good sites.  Rob.
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 July 15 10:01 BST (UK) »
Tappenden, I have not come across the surname as a Romany or Traveller surname, Tapsill, Tapsell or Taplin is noted for being so, the surname is in my part of the woods so to speak, the south of England and in my town, it is I would say a non traveller surname and one attached to an Ag Lab, At one point perhaps in the past a female Tappenden married with a gypsy male which happened frequently so researching the surname to see if this has happened is an option or if it is known that it did happen in the Tappenden family tree may reveal something and again as a Gypsy surname it does not seem to have been adopted,
ESSEX, KENT, LONDON, SUFFOLK, SUSSEX.
Bachelor, Baker, Beeny, Boswell, Brazil, Burgess, Carter, Clements, Cooper, Cornelius, Collins, Day, Dobson, Eastwood, Ellis, Farr, Fairbeard, Harris, Holland/s, Jenkins, Jones, Kennett, K/nave/s, Lyon, Lee, Penfold, Ransley, Robert/s, Reeve/s, Smith, Stone, Thompsett, Tomsit, Wood/s.

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 July 15 09:04 BST (UK) »
its strange how different things tie in sooner or later.....   I have Taplin in my family tree..... from Hampshire though...

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 July 15 20:54 BST (UK) »
The descendants of James Tappenden(born 1804 Canterbury died 1854) and Isabela Hughes(born c1813 Whitstable died 1888) had strong Gypsy/Traveller connections.The couple married in Canterbury on 04/12/1826.He was a general dealer,she was a hawker.
Some examples of Gypsy/Traveller marriages among their descendants ie children/g children/gg grandchildren are:

William Tappenden to Susan Annie Baker a/m/j 1878 Canterbury.

Frederick W Hudd,son of Frederick W Hudd and Sarah Ann Tappenden,to Patience Barton a/m/j 1922 Canterbury.

Emily Tappenden to Belcher Rossiter o/n/d 1900 West Ashford.

John Tappenden to Isabel Scamp j/f/m 1903 Canterbury.

William G Tappenden to Patience Giles j/f/m 1918 Canterbury.

Rose Tappenden to William Daisy o/n/d 1905 Eastry.

Hannah Tappenden to Henry Baker o/n/d 1876 Canterbury.

Mary Ann E Tappenden to Thomas Williams a/m/j 1901 Canterbury.

Mary Ann Tappenden to William Taylor j/f /m 1853 Canterbury.

John Tappenden to Elizabeth Todd 27th June 1859 Canterbury,then Jane Baker not married.

Maria Tappenden to James Parry o/n/d 1882 Canterbury.

These spouses were all from travelling families and worked as hawkers,fish hawkers,dealers etc.There are a lot of other marriages into families who did these jobs but i think werent travellers,i will post some of there family names,i think this whole neighbourhood was pretty poor and poverty stricken at that time.

Nel.

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 July 15 21:10 BST (UK) »
Some other families who married Tappendens are Corks who were basket makers and hawkers,so might have been Romany,they also married Hutchings,Scamp,Barton,Todd and Boorman.Also Neeves and Gawlers were hawkers.

Nel.

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 11:21 BST (UK) »
James Tappendens siblings:

Henry Tappenden baptised 21/02/1802 Canterbury died 1867 Greenwich,partner Jane unknown born 1804 Dartford,fruit/veg hawker,no known children.

Sarah Tappenden baptised 20/11/1808 Canterbury married Thomas Warner,marine store dealer born 1796 Whitstable.Thomas 1st cousin of my 5xgreat grandmother Sarah Warner.

James,Henry and Sarahs parents Sampson Tappenden born 1771 Crundale nr Ashford and Lucy Poole born 1780 Hoath.

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 11:31 BST (UK) »
James Tappendens wife Isabella Hughes also had strong Gypsy/Traveller connections and might have been Romany:

Isabellas parents William Hughes and Phyllis unknown.Amongst their descendants:

Alfred Hughes born 1817 Whitstable general dealer/hawker married Mary Ann Clements.

Nelson Henry Hughes to Elizabeth Scamp a/m/j 1927 Canterbury.

Alfred Hughes to Elizabeth Taylor 1904 Canterbury.

John Hughes to Elizabeth Lee o/n/d 1865 Canterbury,they lived in tents and trailers.

Hannah Hughes to James Brown j/f/m 1867 Canterbury,they too lived in trailers.

Matthew Hughes to Mercy Baker j/a/s 1893 Eastry.

A bit more evidence of possible Tappenden Romany connections.