Author Topic: Family Search Private W Gregson  (Read 9368 times)

Offline poppy42

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family Search Private W Gregson
« on: Friday 26 June 15 19:37 BST (UK) »
Hi all
this is my first posting
I am hoping for help & info on my late father who I sadly never knew. His name was W Gregson and he was a private in the second world war. My mother unfortunately found it to difficult to talk about him, as I had great respect for her I never asked again. This sadly meant that now late in my life I know very little about him or his family history.

I have attached a Marconi social club card from chelmsford, essex where they meet,  which is the only item I found following my mothers death, this is all I have of his handwriting.
The information is he was a temporary member on the 19th March 1942 and gives an address of 90 Ashley Road, Salisbury, Wiltshire. Following research on the address we believe he was a lodger.

If anyone could help please I would be forever grateful, after many decades of searching I still remain hopeful to find out more about him, and to see a photo of him.
many thanks
poppy42

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Family Search Private W Gregson
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 June 15 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Poppy42,

Firstly a very warm welcome to Rootschat!

Do you know your father's first Name (s) & when & where he was born? I know that you gave the initial W & and an address in Salisbury, Wiltshire, but he may not necessarily have been born there also a full christian would help to narrow things down. Also what was your mothers name as she would have been his next of kin during the war?

As regards world war 2 service records they are still with the MOD & you would need to apply to them for your father's service records. This is a link to the appropriate website to apply for WW2 service records: https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/overview

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 June 15 01:59 BST (UK) »
I note a William Gregson married a Vera A. M. Thorn (born 1916) Sept.quarter 1935 Salisbury and 3 sons were born between 1936 and 1940 (elder son died 1939) and a daughter in 1945.   His wife appears to have remarried at Salisbury in 1955  (and also died there) - whether divorced or widowed one can only speculate.   Certainly cannot see a death for this William Gregson in Salisbury at all so perhaps they divorced and he moved away.  His children continue to live in Salisbury per electoral rolls.

Could this possibly be Private W Gregson I wonder?  Have you ever considered this avenue?

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 June 15 10:53 BST (UK) »
The MOD normally require his army number - 7 or 8 digits depending when he joined. They may take just his full name, date and place of birth. But you will need to supply a copy of the death certificate in all cases.

You could also try the electoral roll for the address where the 1940 child was born and maybe where he was a lodger, although this will be clutching at straws.

Ken

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 June 15 11:30 BST (UK) »
Is there any information about him on your birth certificate?

An earlier request on another board mentions that he was believed to be in the Royal Corps of Signals.

https://www.british-genealogy.com/threads/60598-Gregson
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline poppy42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 June 15 13:52 BST (UK) »
Is there any information about him on your birth certificate?

An earlier request on another board mentions that he was believed to be in the Royal Corps of Signals.

https://www.british-genealogy.com/threads/60598-Gregson

Thank you for your reply your time is much appreciated  :)
A few days before my marriage in 1962 the vicar asked to see my Mother as there was no Fathers name on my birth certificate I was not present at the time so the vicar requested that she told me.  It was not until then I found out he last name was Gregson.
Regards poppy42

Offline poppy42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 June 15 14:07 BST (UK) »
The MOD normally require his army number - 7 or 8 digits depending when he joined. They may take just his full name, date and place of birth. But you will need to supply a copy of the death certificate in all cases.

You could also try the electoral roll for the address where the 1940 child was born and maybe where he was a lodger, although this will be clutching at straws.

Ken

Many Thanks for your reply your time is much appreciated  :)
I did speak to the MOD but with such little information on out part they were unable to help us.
Regards
poppy42

Offline poppy42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 June 15 14:17 BST (UK) »
I note a William Gregson married a Vera A. M. Thorn (born 1916) Sept.quarter 1935 Salisbury and 3 sons were born between 1936 and 1940 (elder son died 1939) and a daughter in 1945.   His wife appears to have remarried at Salisbury in 1955  (and also died there) - whether divorced or widowed one can only speculate.   Certainly cannot see a death for this William Gregson in Salisbury at all so perhaps they divorced and he moved away.  His children continue to live in Salisbury per electoral rolls.

Could this possibly be Private W Gregson I wonder?  Have you ever considered this avenue?

Annette

Many Thanks  :) No we have never found this Gregson, we are now trying to find out more.
Regards
poppy42

Offline poppy42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 June 15 14:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Poppy42,

Firstly a very warm welcome to Rootschat!

Do you know your father's first Name (s) & when & where he was born? I know that you gave the initial W & and an address in Salisbury, Wiltshire, but he may not necessarily have been born there also a full christian would help to narrow things down. Also what was your mothers name as she would have been his next of kin during the war?

As regards world war 2 service records they are still with the MOD & you would need to apply to them for your father's service records. This is a link to the appropriate website to apply for WW2 service records: https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/overview

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

David
Many Thanks for your time  :)
Sadly most of this information we do not have. The card below is the only real evidence we found.
Regards
poppy42