Author Topic: Shifnal Parish Registers  (Read 3425 times)

Offline judith54

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Shifnal Parish Registers
« on: Saturday 27 June 15 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi

Can anyone tell me if findmypast is the only site that has the Parish Registers for Shifnal? I am looking in particular at the period prior to 1710 - a number of the pages on FindMyPast are duplicated and a number seem to be missing. I would also be interested in purchasing a CD if one is available

Thanks
Judith
Burrell                         Mitchell            
Armstrong                    Adamson
Holmes                        Anderson
Fleming                        Rudd                  Boustead                      Picken
Huddleston                   Gathin Peele                            Foxall
Whinfield                      Lumley
Lindsley                       Shakelock

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shifnal Parish Registers
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 June 15 21:45 BST (UK) »
This is an internet version of a book published over 100 years ago that may help (there is an index at the back)

Shropshire parish registers

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01fjx/ 

Also Ancestry has

Shropshire, England, Extracted Parish Records

This database is a collection of historical parish records from Shropshire, England. The 1,450,900 records in this collection can range in date from the early 1500s to the mid- to late-1800s. Some non-parish records may be included from as early as the twelfth century. Parish records--primarily baptisms, marriages, and burials--provide the best source of vital record information in the centuries before civil registration. The records include baptisms/christenings, burials, marriages, tombstone inscriptions, obituaries, tax lists, wills, and other miscellaneous types of records. Also included are some records from non-conformist churches. All of the data was converted as it was originally presented in various published registers and books. For this reason, you will find interesting phonetic spellings and large descriptive tables of contents.

but they appear to be transcriptions only and don't know to what extent Shifnal is covered
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.