Author Topic: German to English (2 of 3)  (Read 1089 times)

Offline cheerio6400

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
German to English (2 of 3)
« on: Monday 29 June 15 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hello, my father-in-law recently discovered three family photos with what we assume to be German writing on the back.  We would be very grateful if someone could translate for us.  The second is attached.  Thank you in advance for your efforts!

Offline Peonie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I wish ................!!
    • View Profile
Re: German to English (2 of 3)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 July 15 09:14 BST (UK) »
I have transcribed the text and hope somebody does the translation.

Eine Aufnahme zu Pfingsten, Mai 1929, im Wald bei Bernsdorf.
In der Mitte Hermine, links auf dem Bild ist Hassler (?), rechts stehe ich. Den Apparat hatte ich gerichtet , einen Selbstauslöser angedreht (?) , dann ging ich rechts zur Gruppe, so dass beim Apparat niemand war. Der Mann hinter Hermine mit dem Hut ist der Schwager von ihr. Die anderen sind Beamte. Der Bube neben seinem Vater hat bei der Feier der Silbernen Hochzeit
ein langes Gedicht aufgesagt.

Regards Peonie

Offline cheerio6400

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 July 15 23:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Peonie!  That's wonderful.  I couldn't make out any of that.  I plugged your transcription into Google Translate, and this is what I got:

"A recording at Pentecost, in May 1929 in the woods near Bernsdorf.
In the middle of Hermione, the left in the picture Hassler's (?), I'm right. The apparatus I had directed, a self timer turned on (?), Then I went right to the group so that the apparatus was nobody. The man behind Hermione with the hat is the brother of her. The others are civil servants. The boy next to his father at the celebration of the silver wedding
a long poem recited."

At least it gives me the gist of it.  I think the man on the far right is my father-in-law's great-grandfather, and presumably the photographer.  Not sure who Hermione or the others are, but at least now I have an idea what it says, and the location where it was taken. 

Thank you again!
Colleen

Offline Peonie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I wish ................!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 July 15 05:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Colleen,

Google translation didn't do too bad.

In the middle is Hermine, on the left in the picture is Hassler (?). I am on the right. I set the timer on the apparatus and then went to the right side of the group. Nobody was with the apparatus. The man behind Hermine with the hat is her Brother-in-Law. The others are public servants. The boy next to his father recited a long poem at the Silver Wedding.

There are 14 places called Bernsdorf in Germany or former German areas.

Regards Peonie

Offline cheerio6400

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 July 15 16:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Peonie,

I've been away, but wanted to thank you for the clarification.  I am beginning to think these photos may not be from my father-in-law's grandfather's family, but rather his grandmother's, as she had a half-sister named Hermine.  My understanding is that the family had lived near Vienna.  I wonder if the reference might be to Berndorf, Austria?  I will have to see if I can piece together anything more. 

Thanks again,
Colleen