Author Topic: Lazarus family  (Read 3884 times)

Offline The Jones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lazarus family
« on: Wednesday 01 July 15 09:38 BST (UK) »
i am currently researching the Lazarus family from Llanbedrgoch, Anglesey. My main interest is Thomas John Lazarus b 1894, d 1943 in Canada. I know he was in the merchant navy and rumour has it that he drowned at sea????? The last record that I Can find for him in the passenger crew list is from 1941, but don't know what happened to him after that.
I know which cemetery he is buried in Canada, but is to possible to order a copy of his death certificate.
I would be interested if anyone knows anything about this family, interesting stories etc.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lazarus family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 14:53 BST (UK) »
I checked the GRO overseas registers but there doesn't seem to be an entry for him.

As he is buried in Canada, have you approached the cemetery office over there for more information?

Have you seen his merchant navy records including a photo on FindMyPast?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline The Jones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 20:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I will try the cemetery office and see if they have any more information on him.
Yes I am of the photo on find my past.

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 July 15 13:15 BST (UK) »
There is a record on The National Probate Records for 1945 it states he died 5/12/1943 and was from Quebec, Canada. Administration with will at Llandudno 16th March to Catherine Griffiths (wife of David Griffiths) Attorney of Henry Lazarus. Effects £1,233 12s 6d in England.
 I looked up Henry Lazarus on the Census and he was a brother of Thomas.
I also found on the Newspaper Index cards a cutting stating he had been a Marine Engineer of Quebec, Canada dated 16/8/1944 asking if anyone had a claim on his estate to reply within 8 days to W R Jones, Trehinon, Amlwch.