Author Topic: THOMAS GRIBBLE  (Read 4121 times)

Offline aussieshirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
THOMAS GRIBBLE
« on: Wednesday 21 July 04 07:09 BST (UK) »
Seeking info regarding Thomas GRIBBLE, born about 1817. Sent to AUS. as a convict aboard the ship YORK1,arrived 7th Feb 1831.  I have the Bound Convict Indent for him which gives his physical description, age, religion etc. His native place is given as Bristol.
His trades noted on the Indent, are comb maker, carter, milks and reaps.
His offence was picking pockets, (one wonders when he had time with all his jobs) :)!!
He was sentenced for seven years.  He married Jane IRWIN (another convict),in 1848.

Thanks, aussieshirl
researching; elphick friend woolgar mcnanley watson gribble irwin shaw lindsay butler pratt payne heslop mcdowell mccormick
location; kent manchester ireland northern ireland fife london and australia

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: THOMAS GRIBBLE
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 October 11 19:29 BST (UK) »
I suspect that he came from either Iron Acton or Old Sodbury which are both close th Bristol.
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline Ceejaygee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 November 11 19:19 GMT (UK) »
I believe Thomas Gribble to have been born around 1807 rather than 1817 and that he may possibly be the father of Jeremiah Gribble born circa 1826-9 in Bristol, who was my 2xgreat grandfather.  Thomas' wife Hester married Thomas Rivers after his transportation to Australia.  I think I've seen some details of Thomas in Australian records where he refers to his young son "Jesse" who died but I am thinking that the "J" tattoo in fact referred to Jeremiah. I'd be interested to hear any information that might help me prove my theory.

Offline aussieshirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 November 11 09:43 GMT (UK) »
On the Bound Convict Indent for Thomas it states the he is 23 yrs old when the ship York1 arrived in Aus. He was tried at Glouscester Quarter Sessions on the 13/7/1830, also that he is single. Thomas married in 1848 to Jane Irwin (another convict), at Wilberforce, NSW.They had 5 children, of whom the eldest, Maryann is my gt gt grandmother, I have not been able to establish a marriage to William Elphick, my gt gt grandfather, they are the parents of Charles Elphick, my gt grandfather. William married Bridget Grogan in 1873, they had 9 children and Maryann married John Brewer Lewis in 1879, they had one son.
Thomas Gribble and Jane Irwin continued their life of crime, there are several newspaper reports on Trove pertaining to court cases for them.

Shirl.
researching; elphick friend woolgar mcnanley watson gribble irwin shaw lindsay butler pratt payne heslop mcdowell mccormick

Offline Ceejaygee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 November 11 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for getting back to me.  Here is a link to some of the material I had found leading me to believe he was married and had a son "J"....http://o.mfcreative.com/f1/exports/9/9976d4bf-355f-43ee-8b5b-032195f408b0/Thomas%20Gribble%20Convict_Life%20in.pdf.  Is it something you had come across?

Offline aussieshirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi, no I had not seen that link before was most interested to read the info. thanks, Shirl.