Author Topic: Problems posting images  (Read 1417 times)

Offline Artognou

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Problems posting images
« on: Wednesday 08 July 15 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've been trying to post several images, some of them are too large and I'm having issues trying to shrink them down, without them looking terrible - some of them are copies of photos which were copied in 1992, so the scans are grainy and even worse when I have tried altering the size.
I also tried to post an image just now that is about 2.24MB, that's not too large, is it?

I'm good with most computer related issues, but when it comes to photos, I'm awful!

Any help would be very appreciated :)
Searching for - McIntyres of Mull & Maybole, Ayrshire and McQuarries of Ulva/Mull.
Foot family of Cornwall/Devon/Dorset, Sargents and Kerslakes of Cornwall/Devon.
McDonalds of Aberdeen/Banff/Sutherland
Aird and Muirfamilies of Ayrshire, Bell families of Ayrshire
Macey, Giles and Lishmund families of Devon.
Baldwins of Hertfordshire.
Dimmock family of Bucks.
Snow family of London.
Dallimore/Dillimores of Wiltshire.
Hunts-Norfolk.
Simmons of Cornwall and Ward/Hewetts of London

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Problems posting images
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 21:31 BST (UK) »
I also tried to post an image just now that is about 2.24MB, that's not too large, is it?

I'm afraid it is.

Have a look at this post which gives advice on how to resize photos.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=372537.0

This one might also help:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,130922.0.html

Nell

All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hi....you can post a file size of up to 500kbs on here....you will need to rename the file when you repost your image.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Artognou

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 21:41 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for your replies.
I have renamed the files, but nothing sadly came of it.

The other problem I had was with irfanview, it wouldn't install at all, so I'm also stuck in that respect as well.
Searching for - McIntyres of Mull & Maybole, Ayrshire and McQuarries of Ulva/Mull.
Foot family of Cornwall/Devon/Dorset, Sargents and Kerslakes of Cornwall/Devon.
McDonalds of Aberdeen/Banff/Sutherland
Aird and Muirfamilies of Ayrshire, Bell families of Ayrshire
Macey, Giles and Lishmund families of Devon.
Baldwins of Hertfordshire.
Dimmock family of Bucks.
Snow family of London.
Dallimore/Dillimores of Wiltshire.
Hunts-Norfolk.
Simmons of Cornwall and Ward/Hewetts of London

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 July 15 07:35 BST (UK) »
When you renamed files what message did you get when posting

It has to be a totally unique name and a file size less than 500Kb

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 July 15 08:09 BST (UK) »
If you are still having issues, you could send a private message to one of us and email the large copies to enable us to resize  and post them for you.   :)

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 July 15 08:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've been trying to post several images, some of them are too large and I'm having issues trying to shrink them down, without them looking terrible - some of them are copies of photos which were copied in 1992, so the scans are grainy and even worse when I have tried altering the size.

I'm good with most computer related issues, but when it comes to photos, I'm awful!

Any help would be very appreciated :)

I have trouble too! If I try and post a pic and it says it's too big I go back into Paint Shop Pro and resize by 50% then 're save it,  that usually works. Although it is very hit and miss! I am rubbish on computers!

I have looked at all the advice and it is like a foreign language to me. It is frustrating.

Keep trying. It took me a while to do it, it's probably the wrong way but seems to work.
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 July 15 08:47 BST (UK) »
When you resize the photo and save it, before trying to post, go to the folder where the file is stored and check that the file size is no bigger than about 495kb….just a few kb's over 500kb and it won't post.  If the file is too big, obviously you will need to resize again depending on how much you are still over the 500kb (i.e. resize by a little if only just over or a lot if the file is still huge).

When saving the file make sure you give the photo a very unique name…don't use things like "Photo 1" as sure as eggs, there will already be a post on Rootschat with that name.  Every single photo posted must have a completely unique name.  Try adding your initials with a number to the name e.g.  "Aunty Mary  ANB61.jpg"  "Uncle John ANB61.jpg"  providing no one else uses "ANB61" in their photo names, you won't have a problem.

If all else fails, we can do it for you.  ;)

Caz

PS Adding photos is explained with images on this link:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 July 15 09:30 BST (UK) »
Just add to what has already been advised...when you attach your photo...click only once....if you double click...it will appear as though your photo has already attached and you will get an error message telling you that the file already exists.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU