Author Topic: France : George BLENNERHASSET of Brittainy  (Read 4082 times)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: France : George BLENNERHASSET of Brittainy
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 August 15 13:27 BST (UK) »
Avranches over in Manche comes to mind (not technically Brittany but not far over from Saint-Servan/Saint-Malo area)

http://recherche.archives.manche.fr/?id=recherche_etat_civil
on the tables:
4 September (no year listed? tables are for 1823-1832, could be dittoed from above but only appears as 182? as scan hasn't gotten into the margin)

found in 1828:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ftq/
(hope this works; left hand side of page 97)
my rough translation of the main parts
Born 1 September and registered 4 September, Emilie, daughter of Georges Blennerhasset Williams, officer of the British army (I think), aged 44, born Milttossn?, Ireland, and Marguerite Vernon, his wife, aged 42, born Sligo, Ireland

Is it possible that "Marguerite Vernon" and "Margaret O'Connor" are the same, I wonder?
I found a reference to a possible marriage in 1806 in Sligo:
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/IRL-SLIGO/2009-02/1233473204

Does the will mention his wife, and/or any other children than Emily?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bottlebrush

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 August 15 01:35 BST (UK) »
Once again, Jorose, you have come up trumps! I am so grateful! I think the town is 'Milltown' - there a several in Ireland but it is possibly the Milltown near Dublin as that seems to be the main seat for this Williams family (not confirmed yet). No, George only mentioned Emily in his Will but also his housekeeper Anna X. I have attached a tiny snippet from the Will (the whole document exceeded the limit). I am beginning to think that the name of 'O'Connor' might be wrong. It was in the death record of the son Conway who died in St Malo in 1875. Perhaps the informants didn't know exactly the maiden name of the mother. I am certain that George and Margaret married in Sligo in 1806 as that came from info in some of George's military records so it is becoming more certain that it was Margaret Vernon, not O'Connor. Seems George and Margaret went back to Ireland after their return from Canada (daughter Julia states in the Censuses that she was born in Dublin in 1820), then to Guernsey (where Conway was born) then to France. I don't know yet where son John Frederick was born (about 1825) but seems likely now that it was either Guernsey or France. Also seem that Margaret must have died between 1828 and 1844 - presumably in Manche, or Brittany. I am learning so much about French research from you - just wish my French was better! I am still having trouble navigating the site geneanet but will persist. Many thanks!

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 August 15 13:53 BST (UK) »
Well, Emily did marry an "O'Connor", maybe that's where they picked up the name from?  Anna Cuoll? Tuoll? Cuell? Snell even? (looking at the "n" in "Anna") - see if you can spot that first capital letter in other parts of the will, that might help figure the handwriting out.

When he says "my house" does he mean one in Le Faouet? Or is it not clear from the will?

Usually women in French records retain their maiden names, so we may be looking for a death of a Margaret or "Marguerite" Vernon - listed in the records as wife (or widow?) of G.B. Williams (femme/veuve).  Unfortunately the indexing is definitely patchy - and of course if she was unwell she may have gone wherever "home" was (Ireland, England, Guernsey?) and died there.

I see that Conway's death says he was resident Saint-Servan, just as George was (this is now part of St. Malo). Ille-et-Vilaine archives do have censuses "recensement" online but they're unindexed.   They can be found at http://archives-en-ligne.ille-et-vilaine.fr/thot_internet/FrmSommaireFrame.asp under "genealogie".  Unfortunately this could be a long slog - in 1846 there were 300+ pages just from Saint-Servan. However if you have some time one rainy day when you're waiting for something else, it may be helpful.

Another possible source - do you have the Death Duty register for George?
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/death-duties-1796-1903/

Offline Bottlebrush

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 05 August 15 03:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, Jorose. Maybe Conway's informants did get a bit mixed up with the name of his mother. Emily married an "O'Connell" but does sound like "O'Connor" so maybe ....
I have looked again at son William Henry's baptism in Quebec Canada and was thrilled to notice that one of the 'sponsors' was a William Vernon - more questions to answer now!
As for George's Will - he wrote it in Faouet so I presume that is where his house was. I have also deciphered the name of his housekeeper as Anna Tuell. Here is an excerpt which I transcribed "I bequeath my goods and chattels of which I may be possessed at my death to my daughter Amelia (sic)Williams after payment of the sum of one hundred pounds sterling money of England amounting to two thousand five hundred francs money of France to my housekeeper Anna Tuell residing in my house a sum which is due for wages and for her constant fidelity towards me and my children during the period she has been employed by me eighteen years. I also bequeath to the said Ann Tuell my housekeeper all my effects that is to say all horned cattle, horses, dogs guns and moveable objects that I may possess in France at the time of my death The said sum of two thousand four hundred francs one hundred pounds sterling which I bequeath to my housekeeper Anna Tuell shall be paid to herself or to her order by my testamentary Executors Messieurs Codd (& Co. - my words)Number fourteen Fludyer Street Westminster London ....Therefore by those present I appoint and nominate the said Messieurs Codd (& Co) … agents number fourteen Fludyer Street Westminster London Executors...."
 Thanks for the link to the Census - I have looked at 100 pages so far - nothing yet. I have also found the Death Duty Register entries (for George in 1847 and son William Henry in 1869) but at 250 MB download, I will have to wait awhile - I live in a rural area and our internet service is very poor. Your help has been invaluable, Jorose!  :)

Offline Bottlebrush

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 July 16 05:14 BST (UK) »
Since my last postings I have found that the wife of George Blennerhasset Williams died on 14th January 1872. Her name was Margaret Williams nee Vernon. I have searched English Censuses and death records but cannot find any likely candidate so  Iam now wondering if she remained in France after the death of her husband George in 1847. Although George died in Carhaix, he lived in Le Faouët,  Morbihan but I don't know how to access the death records for this area. I would be most grateful for any help  :)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 01 July 16 19:16 BST (UK) »
What source do you have for the date of her death?

Perhaps she went back to Ireland?

Offline Bottlebrush

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 02 July 16 03:57 BST (UK) »
I got the date of death from a Chelsea Pensioners record as Margaret had applied for a pension just after George died in France and it records her date of death. I guess it is possible that she went back to Ireland but I wanted to eliminate France first. I thought she might have gone to England with her daughter, Emily, who was born in France but married in England in 1855 but I can't find a likely person in the Censuses and none for deaths in the the first quarter in 1872.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 02 July 16 13:42 BST (UK) »
Without knowing where in France she might have settled long term it's hard to search - I checked Le Faouët (Morbihan archives, linked earlier in thread) and Carhaix, as well as Saint Malo where her son died and nearby Saint-Servan - no luck.

Do you know where her surviving children would have been circa 1872? There's a good chance she was living with one of them.

Offline Bottlebrush

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 03 July 16 07:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you for you effort, Jorose, much appreciated. I have tried to find her in the Censuses but she is very elusive. Her sons moved around alot - and they have also been hard to trace in the Censuses - one was in the military and the other a wine merchant and they travelled to France, Salt Cay Turks and Caicos. It's quite a complex family - one son ending his days in an asylum quite young and one daughter dying young.  Anyway, I keep looking - thanks again, Jorose  :)