Author Topic: British Military service and Marriage in Canada c.1807  (Read 6604 times)

Offline aussiecandy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: British Military service and Marriage in Canada c.1807
« Reply #18 on: Friday 17 July 15 06:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much everyone, for all the replies, I can't keep up! Will refer back and get some of this family sorted as and when I can. :D

Coughin

The tithe records for Essex include a reference to a place called Coughtland in the parish of Great Horkesley, which is about 3 miles north of Colchester. Hither Coughtland, Middle Coughtland, Further Coughtland. In the occupation of Jeremiah Stannard in 1839

So we're back to a variation of Coughton, Essex! All grist for the mill. Thanks. :)
ANDERSON, BRIDGE, LILLEY, LINNETT, POTTER, QUERRY, SKINGSLEY, TAYLOR, WES(T)LEY :ESS
BLINCO, HOWELL, PRUE, HICKMAN :WAR
BRIDGE, BEARD, CORP, KEECH, JONES, FRY, WHITAKER, MAYHEW, REE :LDN/MDX
BURGESS, CARPENTER, CATER, DIVER, JARVIS, JONES,  :CAM
FRY, HOLE, MONGER, MATCHWICK, NASH, WELLS :SRY
ASHBY, CHADBAND, KEECH, OLIVER, SHELSTON :NTH
BEALE, HAWKINS, MORGAN, PEARCE, SMITH, TULL, WILD :HAM
BEARD, CARTER, MALPASS/MALPUS, WORKMAN :GLS
CLARK, DRAPER, HANSLOW, LAWLEY, REE, WINWOOD :SAL
THUSTIN :BKM

Offline ecm1968

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 04 June 16 19:02 BST (UK) »
Joseph Howell was my 4x great grandfather too. I saw your first posts and now this one a few years later. It seems you have got further than me, but have you solved the Rosina thing? I have even searched Canadian maps to see if there is a town called Coughin, Essex over there, just in case the enumerator didn't know what to do about the Canadian bit so left it off, or in case Rosina just thought there was a bit of mischief to be had by not detailing the Canada bit. Anyway I didn't get anywhere with that stray thought either! I am linked to him through Frederick H. the son, then Jane the granddaughter. I would be very interested in seeing any records, such as the military ones that you have . . . I am unable to travel to archives and sort of do this on and off between children and elderly parents and the like.

Offline aussiecandy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 04 June 16 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Cousin!  ;D Thank you for your comments and for trying to sort out the Canadian connection. I only have a possible baptism for Rosina/Rosanna, which I've yet to confirm... a marriage record might  confirm her surname.  Have you had a chance to read all these posts? Some kind people on Rootschat helped me to sort out the location that Rosina was from. I might also have found Joseph's baptism but have no other documents, at this stage, to confirm that either. I've got some of Jane's descendants on my family tree. I descend via Jane's brother, Frederick. I'll send you a private message later when I am more awake.  Cheers.  :D

Joseph Howell was my 4x great grandfather too. I saw your first posts and now this one a few years later. It seems you have got further than me, but have you solved the Rosina thing? I have even searched Canadian maps to see if there is a town called Coughin, Essex over there, just in case the enumerator didn't know what to do about the Canadian bit so left it off, or in case Rosina just thought there was a bit of mischief to be had by not detailing the Canada bit. Anyway I didn't get anywhere with that stray thought either! I am linked to him through Frederick H. the son, then Jane the granddaughter. I would be very interested in seeing any records, such as the military ones that you have . . . I am unable to travel to archives and sort of do this on and off between children and elderly parents and the like.
ANDERSON, BRIDGE, LILLEY, LINNETT, POTTER, QUERRY, SKINGSLEY, TAYLOR, WES(T)LEY :ESS
BLINCO, HOWELL, PRUE, HICKMAN :WAR
BRIDGE, BEARD, CORP, KEECH, JONES, FRY, WHITAKER, MAYHEW, REE :LDN/MDX
BURGESS, CARPENTER, CATER, DIVER, JARVIS, JONES,  :CAM
FRY, HOLE, MONGER, MATCHWICK, NASH, WELLS :SRY
ASHBY, CHADBAND, KEECH, OLIVER, SHELSTON :NTH
BEALE, HAWKINS, MORGAN, PEARCE, SMITH, TULL, WILD :HAM
BEARD, CARTER, MALPASS/MALPUS, WORKMAN :GLS
CLARK, DRAPER, HANSLOW, LAWLEY, REE, WINWOOD :SAL
THUSTIN :BKM