Author Topic: Where is the 'town' of Sirhowy  (Read 4374 times)

Offline NewRhi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where is the 'town' of Sirhowy
« on: Monday 13 July 15 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hi folks, on an 1871 census my ancestor is under enumeration district 21 which is described as the town of Sirhowy, hamlet of Manmoel.  I know where Manmoel is but I don't know a town called Sirhowy-is it an early name for Blackwood?
Please enlighten me. ;D
Chesterfield(especially Holymoorside, Old Brampton, New Brampton and Whittington)
HOWE, FURNISS,FURNESS,LOWE, LOWDE
FERGUSSON
JACKSON

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Where is the 'town' of Sirhowy
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 July 15 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

Lots of info if you Google the question including this from a JD Wetherspoons site about their pub The Sirhowy in Blackwood

This Wetherspoon pub takes its name from its location in the Sirhowy Valley, and the pioneering tramway which ran along the course of High Street.

The Sirhowy Valley runs from Tredegar to Newport. There are several explanations for the origin of the name. The most likely are Siriol-gwy, or pleasant water, and Sor-gwy, meaning angry water.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 July 15 22:59 BST (UK) »
Quoting from Wikipedia:
The Sirhowy Valley (Welsh: Dyffryn Sirhywi) is an industrialised valley in the eastern part of the Valleys region of South Wales. It is named from the Sirhowy River (Welsh: Afon Sirhywi) which runs through it. Its upper reaches are occupied by the town of Tredegar within the unitary area of Blaenau Gwent. The valley initially heads south-southeast between the ridges of Cefn Manmoel to the east and Mynydd Bedwellte to the west before turning to a more southerly direction. Its central section is one of the least populated of the Welsh coalfield valleys. The valley enters the unitary area of Caerphilly which contains the towns of Blackwood (Welsh: Y Coed Duon) and Pontllanfraith. It then turns east and joins the valley of the Ebbw River, Ebbw Vale at Crosskeys.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline NewRhi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 July 15 08:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I know the location of the Sirhowy valley, but I was confused by Sirhowy being called a town in the census.
Shall I just assume then it is not referring to an actual town, but rather the area of the Sirhowy valley  that runs from Tredegar down towards Newbridge?
Chesterfield(especially Holymoorside, Old Brampton, New Brampton and Whittington)
FERGUSSON
JACKSON

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 July 15 16:39 BST (UK) »
I had a great aunt born 1871 and her place of birth is given as Sirhowy.  The 1871 census shows her as 2 months old and living with her father and mother (my great grandparents) in Dukestown & Llangunider, which is the north side of Tredegar.  I have a lot of family from that area in the middle to late 1800's and have always associated Sirhowy births as around the Tredegar area.  The birth certificate (which I have not purchased) is registered in Crickhowell.

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 July 15 16:55 BST (UK) »
http://maps.nls.uk/view/102186082

Double click on map - top left hand corner

Offline NewRhi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 July 15 20:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you both, hanes teulu-that is brilliant, thank you!
I hope you have seen this map Ray, it was niggling me so it's nice to find out the answer. :)
FERGUSSON
JACKSON

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 July 15 20:55 BST (UK) »
Good find Hanes, expected to see Sirhowy that area, great to see it confirmed.

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 16:13 BST (UK) »
I went up to Ebbw Vale by train about 18 months ago, specifically to go across to check out the Sirhowey area. At that time the train ended at Ebbw Vale Parkway - somewhat short of the town. I see today it has been extended to the town itself?

As it happened, having taken a cab from the Parkway to the town, I bumped into someone I had known 40 + years previously in Uni. We ended up having a few beers in the town itself, then a cab back to The Parkway for me and a memorable ride back to Cardiff.

So, Sirhowey is still a spot on the map for me rather than somewhere I have visited!