Author Topic: Dock Gate Man ?  (Read 2515 times)

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
Dock Gate Man ?
« on: Thursday 16 July 15 05:57 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me please, what the duties would have been of a Dock Gate Man and a Head Dock Gate Man on Liverpool Docks during the 1800's and early 1900's ?  Thanks.
BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dock Gate Man ?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 July 15 06:53 BST (UK) »
To check the dockers who worked that day were only the ones supposed to work - not all dockers worked every day - if there were not enough ships coming in / going out to load ,not all dockers were required .
each Docker had his own Tally and had his own number - he had to produce this to get his wages AND  the dockers were clocked in by the Gateman by their Number - not their name .
My grandad was the Dockgateman at Garston Dock ( Stalbridge ) from 1920 to 1959 - he also ensured unwanted visitors / thieves din't get onto the dock and made sure the dockers didn't get off the dock with any stolen goods
here is my Grandads Tally - number 85 ( hope it works ) :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 July 15 07:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that garstonite - very interesting, and love the photo.
BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 July 15 07:54 BST (UK) »
Do you know which Dock he worked on ?...for instance Canada Dock and Alexander Dock had railway lines that went straight across the dock road onto the actual Docks - taking Coal out of Liverpool and bringing Ffyfes Bananas into Liverpool - the banana trade was transferred to Garston after WW2 - where Tate and Lyle was the dock was mainly sugar and molasses...if you know which dock he worked  I might be able to tell you what the main cargo was - by the way - my grandad although he was the Dockgate man and responsible for no stealing from the dock , ALWAYS had plenty of drinks - Whisky / Rum / Gin / Port / Sherry at Xmas - I can guess where it came from ...lol
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford