Author Topic: Looking for lost half siblings  (Read 6926 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Looking for lost half siblings
« on: Sunday 19 July 15 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hi
I'm new to this forum, so please bear with me! I'm trying to find the where abouts of the following people who are/were my half siblings.

(*)b.1944 in Egypt
 (*) b. 1943 in Egypt

They left Egypt sometime between 1947-1959 with their mother Bella Guy (nee Tenenbaum). She married our father Edward Thomas Guy (1909-1974) in Egypt in 1937.

I have found them leaving UK for Montreal aboard The Empress of England in 1959 with (*) Jaffe b.1953  South African and the adult with them was a Lea ERMOU b.1907.

I have found a Lea Abcarius/Eden married to Thasos Ermou in 1952 reg in Marylebone, London. I am waiting for a copy of the marriage certificate to verify the information and to find out who her parents were etc.

There has been a Leah Eden (d.1967) burial found in Montreal at the Baron de Hirsch cemetery in Montreal. I have received a picture of the grave and am currently waiting for a translation of the Hebrew inscriptions.

I have also posted a message on the Ancestry Montreal Board for a (*)(*) and had a reply with the two men's names and addresses that COULD possibly be them. As yet I've not made contact as I want to gather more information.

I would be really grateful if anyone can shed any light on these people for me.
It is possible that Bella died or disappeared as there doesn't appear to be any trace of her and Lea(h) Ermou was a friend/relative. I believe Lea(h) was previously married to someone with the name Abcarius and also lived in Egypt. A person with this age has even found on a passenger list leaving Egypt in 1938 (aged35)

I look forward to any input anyone can give me.

Thank you
CAW1   

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for lost half siblings
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 08:08 BST (UK) »
Hi to the moderator

Sorry to have made the mistake of using their names. Please can you tell me how to go about my search for my two half siblings?
I notice you say to use the private message board but, going by experience from other sites, do I need to post a certain number of posts first?
Can you only use a PM if someone has replied to you first?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Caw1
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 09:16 BST (UK) »
Here is an Obituary For Bella Tenenbaum Guy -  She died in Montreal, Canada:

http://www.federationgenealogie.qc.ca/avisdeces/avis/pdf?id=579272

Bella (nee Tenenbaum). On Friday, December
11, 1998. Wife of the late Edward Guy.

So you can see your half siblings are both on here with their partners names.

Also as Bella never divorced and must of never remarried she continued using her married name - helpful for you to find her.

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 09:45 BST (UK) »
Ok, here is my final post to allow me to PM - right so now I'm confused!!

(Not difficult) where do I go from here because it's the names of the living people I'm trying to find!!

Do I now wait for a reply from someone then send a PM? Otherwise how do I know who to PM?!
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 09:51 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

Now that you have enough posts, anyone who reads them and can help will be able to PM you. You should get a notification when this happens either by email or under My Messages above.

Good luck.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 10:36 BST (UK) »
Here is an Obituary For Bella Tenenbaum Guy -  She died in Montreal, Canada:

http://www.federationgenealogie.qc.ca/avisdeces/avis/pdf?id=579272

Bella (nee Tenenbaum). On Friday, December
11, 1998. Wife of the late Edward Guy.

Whiteout7
If you were here in person I'd be giving you the biggest hug!! I can't explain what your find has made to me, I've been looking for nearly 40 years! I've been on so many web sites you can't imagine. THANKYOU,THANKYOU,THANKYOU!
I now have that dilemma of wondering if I should contact them as they may not know anything about me or want to!
I knew my father never divorced as my mother changed her name by depole, the details are on my birth certificate.
I just wonder how I was never able to find them as I knew the children had gone to Canada in 1959.
If you are able to point me any further directions I will be eternally grateful!
My sincere thanks
Caw1

So you can see your half siblings are both on here with their partners names.

Also as Bella never divorced and must of never remarried she continued using her married name - helpful for you to find her.
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 10:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Caw1

Just a suggestion, try using the [reply] button rather than the quote button as your replies are getting lost in the middle.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 10:58 BST (UK) »
Caw1
I just sent you a pm suggesting an address for your half sister.
I would try a polite letter telling them who you are, your email address and how much you would like to know them since your are an only child?

Do your other tipsters name the same man as me?

Hopefully I am right and she will reply to you. Kind of scary but it would be good to have some answers.

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 11:14 BST (UK) »
Ok, I hope I've pressed the correct reply! This seems to be all over the place, don't know whether it's the excitement of finally breaking down a 40yrbrick wall or what!

Thank you to whiteout7 - I'm beside myself and will have to compose myself before I write to, hopefully, my half sisters husband.

You bet it would be good to have some answers!! My (our) father died in 1974 and my mother in 2011. I was too young when Dad died to ask questions and my mother always glossed over things until eventually it was a taboo subject and she refused to say anything!!
My husband always thought she'd leave me a letter to open when she died with all the info. She left a letter but just telling me what a wonderful daughter is been!! Pity she hadn't been a wonderful mother, but that's water under the bridge now.
Other tipsters haven't given me the same name in Fact we've been concentrating on Leah Ermou who they travelled to Canada with so barking up the wrong tree!! Still all help is useful along the line. I'm SO grateful to everyone out there.
I'm sure you are right that she is my half sister and if I get a reply I'll be thrilled( hopefully a positive one)
I'll let you know!
Caw1
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK