Author Topic: N.S.W Death - Alexander John Nash Wood  (Read 5452 times)

Offline kazza2013

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: N.S.W Death - Alexander John Nash Wood
« Reply #18 on: Monday 27 July 15 05:59 BST (UK) »
The only death for an Alex* WOOD* 1898-1905 IF the information on the above two marriages is correct appears to be this one  :-\

Alexander WOOD d. 31 Mar, 1902 PARRAMATTA #6464
Parents: George H & Caroline

Thanks Merlin
A you said that's if the information is correct, a journalist seemed odd. Checked Trove for a Wood, Journalist and nothing. My only thought with the 1902 death is the informant new both his parents names. That's me being sceptical.

Another one which shouldn't be ruled out mainly because I have found nothing on Alexander after 1884.

death
8222/1886 WOOD ALEXANDER
mother JANE E   
district CENTRAL CUMBERLAND

EDIT; Forgot to mention I rang Rookwood cemetery and they said nobody else was buried with Ellen.

cheers
Kaz

Offline kazza2013

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 27 July 15 06:03 BST (UK) »

Can you please explain about your "unknowns" .... are these simply the usual elusive blanks caused by the NSW BDM not yet reconciling their summary records with the actual original church registers?
The NSW BDM's own webpage acknowledges these flaws. 

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history/registry-records.aspx
"Some Registry marriage records from these years recorded only the details pertaining to the parties to the marriage. Details of the parents had been left blank although they appeared in the Church registers. These registrations were amended and a notation made in the margin to record the circumstances of the amendment.

The task of reconciling the Early Church Records and amending the marriage registrations was never finalised. The Registry's records from these years are not complete and it can be worthwhile for genealogists to contact the relevant church to find details missing from a marriage certificate
"

Here's a (now lengthy) thread I prepared some time ago to help overcome those elusive blanks.   The information was actually provided to the clergy, but not forwarded to the NSW BDM at the time of registration.  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,546609.0.html

Cheers,  JM
[/quote]

I'm not sure as this is the 1st of many marriage certificates I have with so few details.

The marriage reads:-

Groom Alexander John Nash
Status Bachelor
Place of Birth Not Stated
Occupation French Polisher
Age Not Stated
Usual Residence 125 Dowling Street Woolloomooloo
Father Not Stated
Occupation Not Stated
Mother Not Stated

Bride Ellen Stone
Status Spinster
Occupation Domestic Servant
Age Not Stated
Father Not Stated
Occupation Not Stated
Mother Not Stated

Date of Marriage 29 May 1869
Place of Marriage 41 Burton Street Sydney NSW
Religion Free Church of England
Witnesses Joseph James Stone, John Mabee
Minister Wm F X Bailey

cheers
Kaz

Offline kazza2013

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 27 July 15 06:09 BST (UK) »
Re the 1869 marriage (NSW BDM # 549/1869, registered Sydney)....

You show  Joseph James Stone as a witness to Ellen’s marriage, and Joseph as a French Polisher.

Have you checked through the free to search Sands Directories available via the City of Sydney Archives?

I can see there’s a J J STONE, French polisher,  at 125 Dowling St, in the 1870 Sands (closing date for entries was end of Oct of the year prior, so for the 1870 listing the closing date was October 1869)

I have hardcopy of many NSW Electoral Rolls for 1870, but I cannot see Joseph in the East Sydney one (most Dowling St would be in that electorate).  ADD,  Joseph NOT listed on Newtown ER for 1870 either.

Have you looked through the free to search City of Sydney Archives Assessment books (includes tenants, not just landlords/property owners)?

Sands : http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/search-our-collections/sands-directory

Assessment Books:  http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/search-our-collections/house-and-building-histories/assessment-books

Maps : http://www.photosau.com.au/CoSMaps/scripts/home.asp

NSW Resources Board at RChat :  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=369703.0

Cheers,  JM

Yes I have searched those links before when searching Joseph James Stone.

As for Alexander Wood the last index I can find him on is the Sands directory 1884 French Polisher at 1 Eliza street Newtown.

cheers
Kaz

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 27 July 15 06:13 BST (UK) »

I'm not sure as this is the 1st of many marriage certificates I have with so few details.

The marriage reads:-

Groom Alexander John Nash
Status Bachelor
Occupation French Polisher
Age Not Stated
Father Not Stated
Occupation Not Stated
Mother Not Stated

Bride Ellen Stone
Status Spinster
Occupation Domestic Servant
Age Not Stated
Father Not Stated
Occupation Not Stated
Mother Not Stated

Date of Marriage 29 May 1869
Place of Marriage 41 Burton Street Sydney NSW
Religion Free Church of England
Witnesses Joseph James Stone, John Mabee
Minister Wm F X Bailey

cheers
Kaz

The clues are "not stated" and also that there's no mention of any church registers being checked for reconcilation.    Sadly though in this instance I should comment that William Francis Xaxier BAILEY was somewhat of a 'marriage shop' celebrant, and it may be that those 'not stated' blanks are not findable via his church registers.  BUT 125 Dowling St does help validate Ellen's side.   I will pull thinking cap down a tad more  :)

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/bailey-william-1731   (also Trove has Bailey's 'career' covered too)

And I have posted on other OP's threads re Rev Bailey and 41 Burton St  for example
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=704201.msg5473484#msg5473484

Re the 1869 marriage .....  yes, if you have a Bailey marriage then likely you have all the available information on the document.    If you are after the Mitchell Library, try this email link http://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/services/ask/

Re 41 Burton St  and the reverend http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=587437.0   I still have no knowledge of the location of the original registers that Bailey ought to have used to record the ceremonies he conducted.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 27 July 15 06:57 BST (UK) »
Another one which shouldn't be ruled out mainly because I have found nothing on Alexander after 1884.

death
8222/1886 WOOD ALEXANDER
mother JANE E   

cheers
Kaz

Not that one either:

BIRTH
17727/1885
WOOD, ALEXANDER
Mother: JANE ELEANOR
CENTRAL CUMBERLAND

I wouldn't mind a few moments alone with the Rev. William BAILEY   >:(

Debra  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 27 July 15 07:41 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't mind a few moments alone with the Rev. William BAILEY   >:(

Debra  :)

Ummm..... I think there's more than just you and me who would like to sort him out.    Not even a comment re if either party needed consent.... and he often conducted ceremonies with under age brides, but no comment re if consent was sought....    Add, and sometimes the groom was simply passing though, and resided at Victoria Barracks.... At least this one it is likely the groom worked with his wife's dad....

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 27 July 15 08:04 BST (UK) »

You need to know more about  Alexander John NASH m. 1869 to identify his death. You need a birth certificate of a child to see what age and birthplace is recorded for Alexander.

"....Elizabeth Annie Ellen WOODS m. William Peel JENNINGS 1897......informants of the marriage - Peter Morgan [who adopted her - legally not sure]"

Who is Peter MORGAN.....what do you know about him.........might lead to Alexander?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 27 July 15 09:05 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Annie Ellen WOODS married in 1897 age 19 to William Peel JENNINGS

*NOTE - The consent of Neil Stewart, being a guardian of minors, was given in writing to the marriage of Elizabeth Annie Ellen Woods with William Peel Jennings, the said Elizabeth being under the age of 21.

Her parents [though different] Frederick Alexander WOODS & Ellen STONE (Deceased)
His occupation is Upholsterer

Informants of the marriage - Peter Morgan [who adopted her - legally not sure] Alfred Charles WOODS [ probably her brother]

Further to Wivenhoe's question, re Peter Morgan, may I please ask you to explain what you mean by "Informants of the marriage" ....     Formal adoptions commence in NSW in the 1920s.... so perhaps Peter MORGAN fostered her?    If you suspect Alfred Charles Woods was probably her brother, then perhaps you should consider HIS birth certificate too (official transcription).... It should give details as to when and where his parents married, and details about his older siblings.... 

553/1874    Birth registered Sydney.
NASH   Alfred Charles
with parents indexed as Alexander John, and Ellen.

The variations in the surname are not uncommon.  Until about 1918, the registration process, particularly for births was simply done by a parent (sometimes by another family member) attending their local registry and providing information verbally in response to questions asked verbally.   So, depending on how the question was posed, how it was understood etc depends on the response.   Then the informant was asked to sign the registry.  The ledger was of course facing the clerk who recorded the information, and then swung around for the informant to sign.  Some family members could sign their names, but not everyone was university trained to read the scribble long hand from some of the clerks who recorded these verbal responses.....  The typewriter arrived at NSW BDM post WWI too.

Cheers,  JM

Offline kazza2013

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 27 July 15 20:57 BST (UK) »

death
8222/1886 WOOD ALEXANDER
mother JANE E   

cheers
Kaz

Not that one either:

BIRTH
17727/1885
WOOD, ALEXANDER
Mother: JANE ELEANOR
CENTRAL CUMBERLAND