Author Topic: Free Church of England 41 Burton St Darlinghurst  (Read 7922 times)

Offline Akira01000

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Free Church of England 41 Burton St Darlinghurst
« on: Friday 16 March 12 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I'm looking for the location for the Free Church of England, 41 Burton St, South Head Road Sydney.

The minister officiating at the time was a WM F X BAILEY (William Francis Xavier BAILEY)

The following is all I can find of him ...

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/bailey-william-1731

He appears an interesting man as this quoted text from the above biography has me concerned about the marriage and to source the original registers. In February 1843 Bailey was convicted of uttering a forged promissory note for £2875 in favour of his sister, was sentenced to transportation for life and in August arrived in Van Diemen's Land in the Gilmore.

As this passage if i can find the record could be a marriage of my ancestors In 1871 he was sentenced to six months imprisonment for improperly marrying a minor.

If anyone can help would be much appreciated.

Regards
Akira

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Free Church of England 41 Burton St Darlinghurst
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 March 12 12:38 GMT (UK) »
This looks like it - Henry Matthew TURNER and Eliza MUSTO.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/61877063?searchTerm=william%20bailey&searchLimits=l-decade=187|||l-year=1871

Debra  :)

Offline Akira01000

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 March 12 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debra,

I couldn't find anything their at first glance, Thanks for finding that.

Must have been common practice with him then :)

I have an Edward Lynch 30 Marrying an Annie McInnes /MacInnes aged 17 yet on the transcribed marriage registration in 1870

The confirmation of their ages isn't until their first son's birth in 1872 where he is 32 and she is 19.

Regards
Akira

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 March 12 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Are you saying that there is nothing on the marriage entry to say that Annie had obtained permission to marry?

Debra  :)

Offline Akira01000

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 March 12 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Correct, all the usual details are listed as not stated and the witnesses look to be married in the church too Henry & Ellen Daniels (nee Conroy) 1861

Regards
Akira

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 March 12 01:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, 

I am confident that the thoroughfare that is now known as Oxford St, Darlinghurst was previously known as (Old) South Head Road.  I am also confident that in the 1870s, Burton Street intersected with South Head Road near the intersection of South Head Road with Riley St.   

Sands 1864 Suburban Dir
Eastern Suburbs
Bailey, F X, Dowling St, Paddington

Sands 1867 Sydney Dir
Rev William F Xavier BAILEY, school, 41 Burton St

Sands 1869 Sydney Dir
Rev Wm F X BAILEY, L.L.D; 41 Burton St

Sands 1871 Sydney 
Rev. William F X BAILEY, 41 Burton St

Sands 1873 Sydney Dir
Rev William FX BAILEY, 41 Burton St

Sands 1877 Sydney Dir
Rev Dr W F X BAILEY, 308 Palmer St

I think that quite a number of the marriages conducted by Rev Bailey may have involved the grooms having a military background, and they may have been Barracked at Victoria Barracks, which is still on Oxford St.

Britain handed over responsibility for NSW land defence to the NSW Colonial Government and withdrew the British regiments circa 1870.  It is speculation on my part, but perhaps Edward Lynch was one of the many soldiers who chose to remain in Sydney and was discharged in Sydney around this time.  I think the Royal Garrison Artillery was the last to be withdrawn, perhaps towards the end of 1871.

Re the lack of info on the 1870 mc .... this is not unusual for that era.   The clergy and the NSW Govt were at odds about the amount of information the clergy were to provide to the Registrar General, and thus it was not until the 1880s that the various churches handed over summary information.   The Registrar General commenced to reconcile those registrations with the Church records in 1912.  And they are yet to complete that task.   You may need to gain access to information on Rev Bailey's registers to find the full details regarding your Edward Lynch and Annie McInnes /MacInnes marriage.   Here is a thread I did up about the elusive blanks, however, I am now sure which denomination would hold his parish register, sorry.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,546609.0.html

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline BatUser

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 March 12 05:22 GMT (UK) »
have two photos and one has the address as 12 South Head Road Hyde Park Sydney and the later one has the address as 12 Oxford Street Hyde Park Sydney.
I have a third photo that has awards for the photographer 1870 and 1872 so the street name must have changed after 1872.

Regards

Terri

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 March 12 02:28 GMT (UK) »
What a grand find there BatUser  ;D

Re William (Francis Xavier) Bailey.

There as a book, “Sir Alfred Stephen: third Chief Justice of New South Wales  1844-1873” at google books.  At pages 250 and 251 are several paragraphs about BAILEY. 

He was first a minister of the C of E, before becoming a Rector in London 1839.   He obtained the degree of Doctor of Laws from Trinity College Dublin in 1841.
The was sentenced to transportation for life two years later, and sent to Tasmania.  He temporarily converted to Roman Catholicism in Tasmania.  After being pardoned he moved to Sydney, continuing as a teacher.   Then “he announced that he would conduct private services, like those of the Church of England, and without charge, would solemnize baptisms and marriages.” 

The book continues “The newspaper publication having all but ruined Bailey’s standing as a teacher, he applied himself to his Free Church of England, becoming notorious for the number of marriages celebrated each year, no longer without charge.  Stephen described the operation as a "marriage-shop" and considered that many marriages were solemnized illegally after nightfall.  In 1871, after being imprisoned for six months and fined for performing a marriage ceremony at which one party was a minor, his licence as a celebrant was revoked”. 

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0kx6/

Further reading of those several paragraphs in the book shows that the Free Church of England’s church services were held either in the Scandinavian Music Hall or a building society’s rooms, and Sir Alfred determined that it “was neither religion nor a semblance of it”.   So 41 Burton St was most likely Bailey’s private residence. 

Have you searched the City of Sydney Assessment Books for Burton St in the 1860s and early 1870s ?   Here’s the RChat link to the NSW Resources board, http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,369703.0.html
At  reply #1 you will find the following links
City of Sydney Assessment Books
http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/assessmentbooks/
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=499593.0

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.