Author Topic: Windows 10 - The Eagle has landed!  (Read 45196 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 - The Eagle has landed!
« Reply #189 on: Saturday 15 August 15 19:03 BST (UK) »
My brother has a Lenovo laptop and he has tried to upgrade to win 10 after he had the invitation but that won't upgrade at the moment so smudwhisk you are right.

I have a Lenovo laptop and upgraded without an invitation, from a link given on Rootschat, my OH has a Lenovo PC and he upgraded on Thursday from an invitation.  Neither of us had any problems.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: Saturday 15 August 15 20:04 BST (UK) »
My brother has a Lenovo laptop and he has tried to upgrade to win 10 after he had the invitation but that won't upgrade at the moment so smudwhisk you are right.

I have a Lenovo laptop and upgraded without an invitation, from a link given on Rootschat, my OH has a Lenovo PC and he upgraded on Thursday from an invitation.  Neither of us had any problems.

As I said, it will be dependent on what hardware has been used by the manufactuer in the specific model(s) and/or what software you have installed.  I'm not saying you shouldn't install from the link that was posted on here, but you could run the risk of issues arising post-installation which Microsofts own compatibility report facility through the reservation patch would probably have highlighted.  That's why they've gone about doing this, more so than to reduce the number of people trying to upgrade a soon as it was released.  If they wanted to do the latter, they wouldn't have provided the facility to just download the software. ;)

I have a 15 year old HP Netbook which originally had XP installed, but now has Win7 as I rebuilt it last year having purchased an OEM copy.  I wanted to see if the reservation facility would confirm if the processor was compatible with Win10 because I'd read on several forums that if a processor didn't have certain inbuilt features, it wouldn't be compatible and my netbooks' processor doesn't have these.  So I managed to get the reservation patch installed and eventually it has come back and said it can be upgraded.  I had read on some forums that people had been using netbooks with the specific Intel Atom processor installed without any issues but wanted to see if microsoft would confirm this.  I haven't yet upgraded, I wanted to wait until a few more of the issues that have been recently flagged up are ironed out.  I'm not intending upgrading my main laptop which is only 2.5 years old for some time, just to be sure.  Hardware isn't likely to be an issue, but software could be and I have at least one piece of software which won't be compatible and the manufactuer hasn't issued a version that works with Win10 yet.

So, as I said previously, its very much the luck of the draw if you upgrade through the link you might have issues and sometimes its better to error on the side of caution and use the reservation facility and its compatibility checking report.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: Monday 17 August 15 12:06 BST (UK) »
My OH upgraded his HP desktop from Win 7 to 10 over the weekend. So far the only problem seemed to be with printer and scanner. We have a colour printer, a monochrome printer and a scanner all attached to his PC. I normally print from my laptop wirelessly through our home network as long as his PC was switched on, but after the upgrade, I couldn't even see the printer and scanner, although I could see the shared drive on his PC and access them. After a while we realised that somehow the properties had defaulted back to not shared. This small problem took two reasonably intelligent people a couple of hours to fathom out. Heaven help us if there had been anything more difficult / disastrous.

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: Monday 17 August 15 19:46 BST (UK) »
Yeah, the upgrade to 10 changed all my networking settings. Not a big issue but has made it harder to link my laptop to the PC securely. I still haven't bothered to try to understand all the settings yet but MS won't seem to allow me to set up a workgroup as my son's PC has already set one up without his knowledge  ::)  which I have no desire to join  :-\

Maybe one day I'll find the time to try to understand it.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 14:46 BST (UK) »
Not sure if anyone else has the same annoying problem.

I had loads of links saved to my Internet Explorer favorites folder.  I did make a back up of the favorites folder before the Win 10 upgrade but Edge didn't import from the original Internet Explorer favorites folder.

Trying to import to Chrome, only looked at the new Edge favorites folder ::)

Link to a solution, importing the old links to Edge: 
Warning the last part of the manual import includes going into the registry.  This is NOT for the faint hearted or inexperienced computer user.  I would not normally recommend anyone going into the registry and making changes but this did work.  Do not make any changes to the registry other than that listed in the link below.  Careless/inquisitive tinkering with the registry could KILL your pc.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01fxi/

Jenny
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 18:21 BST (UK) »
I dug out my old netbook (a Samsung N220 Plus) which operates on the pared-back bare-bones "Windows 7 Starter Edition"  to see if that would be eligible for the free upgrade to Windows 10. After fixing a corrupted file error which had been preventing Windows 7 from updating for years, and then downloading and installing something like 150 updates over a period of two days, the Windows 10 update icon finally appeared. Hooray. I'm now awaiting the download. It'll be interesting to see if/how it runs on the netbook.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 18:59 BST (UK) »
I have to admit, I thought that most netbooks didn't have enough ram? Win 10 requires 2gb, which is why I haven't done our old netbooks.

might just try doing all the updates to see what happens  ;D

Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 19:02 BST (UK) »
I upgraded the netbook RAM just after I bought it so that should be Ok
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline falcybe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 19:03 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have just updated my Aspire E 15 laptop bought last Christmas with 8.1 to Windows 10 and I haven't seen any problems yet. I did have a little worry when the screen started jumping about but then I saw it was running a few last tweeks. I also had to turn off and on again for everything to (appear to) work properly. And my favourites were found without any problem.

I'm off to England on Thursday for my great-niece's wedding so I shall learn the new system slowly.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who posted on this thread, helping me to decide to take the plunge now instead of waiting a while for teething problems to be ironed out.

cheers, falcybe
Hayden Cowan Weir Jowett Barclay Howard Gooch Joiner Rayner Ash Travers Coltman Samuel Falconer Lacey Croton Clarke Robinson Alden Burroughs
Ford Lusty Jones Wice Wise Scorey Rayner Harding Bacon Chambers and lots more
Click on the little house on the left to go to our site