Author Topic: Parkburn House Kilsyth  (Read 4641 times)

Offline Riddell Graham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parkburn House Kilsyth
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 April 24 16:14 BST (UK) »
I am delving into the family history of my mother in law. Her mother was Kathleen Millar who was the daughter of Alexander and Mary Millar (MS Taggart) originally from Ballymena. I found the details from the geneat web site. Mary's parents I thought were James and Ann Taggart but reading an earlier thread maybe not.
My mother in law is interested to know more about the life of Alexander and Mary prior to them moving to Kilsyth in Stirlingshire, Scotland where they eventually settled in and around 1910. She is keen to try and find out why they moved to Scotland or indeed any other information. Can you help?
Riddell Graham

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 24 April 24 17:30 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat, Riddell.

According to the deaths index at www.scotlandspeople,gov.uk there is a death of a Mary Ann Taggart or Miller in Kilsyth in 1943. So she was born about 1870.

The index to the 1911 census in Kilsyth lists what looks like two Millar households consisting of Alex, 40; Elizabeth B, 36;  Mary, 35; John, 32;  Kathleen, 15; Minnie, 13; Mary L S, 3; Elizabeth A, 1; and Jenny, 0.

There are births of Mary Livingston Millar and Elizabeth Allan Millar in 1908 and 1909, mother's maiden surname Lockhart; and Jennie Millar, mother's maiden name Taggart, was born in Kilsyth in 1910. John Millar married Elizabeth Bryde Lockhart in Kilsyth in 1907.

However I am not seeing a marriage of Mary Taggart to Alexander Mill*r in the a marriages index at www.irishgenealogy.ie and I can't see Kathleen in the 1901 census in Ireland.

You need to go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and invest in a few credits.

Use some of them to look at the birth certificate of Jennie Millar. This will tell you the date and place of her (and therefore Kathleen's) parents' marriage.

Use some more to look at Mary Taggart or Miller's death certificate. This will tell you if Alexander had or had not died before her, which will help to find his death, and it should tell you the full names of Mary's parents including her mother's maiden surname. Actually he is probably the Alexander Miller, mother's maiden surname Wilson, who died in Kilsyth in 1921 aged 62. His death certificate will tell you the full names of both his parents.

And you could also take a look at the original of the 1911 census, which might tell you where in Ireland they were all born.

Unrelated question - might the initials SBTB mean anything to you? A simple yes or no will suffice until you have made enough posts to use the Personal Message system.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Riddell Graham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 24 April 24 17:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much. Yes SBTB means Scottish Borders Tourist Board I was CEO there in late 1990’s early 2000’s

Offline Pamchetland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 25 April 24 12:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Riddell  was your mother in law Marion Miller Stevenson if so I would be related to her my Mother was a niece of Mary Ellen Miller nee Taggart and I used to visit Kathleen Stevenson Marion's mother along with my mother in Kilsyth we lived in Falkirk I have Mary Ellen Taggart's death certificate and I have Jennie Miller's birth Certificate on which it gives Alexander Miller and Mary Ellen Taggart marriage date as 8 Mar 1898 in Co Antrim
These I can send to you if you want them
Regards Pam

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 25 April 24 16:53 BST (UK) »
Riddell, I've sent you a PM. 
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Riddell Graham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 26 April 24 14:40 BST (UK) »
Yes my mother in law is Marion Stevenson so I will let her know of the connection. What is your full name and where do you live to allow me to place you with Marie and also who was your mother. This will help with explanations.
It would be great to have those certificates. Thanks

Offline Pamchetland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 26 April 24 16:14 BST (UK) »
My Mother was Ivy Mary Cockburn she married Alexander Dennison and my name was Pamela Catherine Dennison and I must have met Marion way back in the late 40s my mother and I would visit Marion's mother Kathy in Kilsyth and there was also Kathy's sister Jennie who married Peter St Clair I have a family tree on Ancestry which I could send you an invitation to but I would need your email address to do that but we can do it through a private message
I will try to sort out these documents for you and send them in a separate email
Pam

Offline Riddell Graham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 26 April 24 16:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks Pam. Really helpful.
I have emailed you separately
Best wishes
Riddell