Author Topic: Where Am I? No. 12a - Part Two of "Cazza's House"  (Read 49757 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Where Am I? No. 12a - Part Two of "Cazza's House"
« Reply #117 on: Thursday 06 August 15 22:39 BST (UK) »
What is that to the right of the aerial? Looks like a plane!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Thursday 06 August 15 22:42 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

The building to the rear is not residential. If it was I would expect to see at least one chimney at this end near the window. They would not all be at the other end and out of sight.

If that is an open door on the right of it then it is single story and at a higher position than the house. Either that or you step out into space. This is the early days of cars becoming common among the wealthy so I think they have had a substantial garage built in place of the old stable block. The little pointy bit on the roof is most likely an air vent or maybe a small clock tower.

The chimney lower down is on the outside end of the small building behind the greenhouse. So possibly heating as Jan said for the greenhouse but also for the shed.

The different colours of the windows is an old decorating practice to differentiate between fixed sashes and opening sashes. Quite common still in some areas of sussex and other areas.

Of to do some more research.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Thursday 06 August 15 22:47 BST (UK) »
I think it is only the way the tree branch looks when you zoom in.

From a distance these details don't seem so obvious or have as much of a defined shape.  Possibly misleading for all I know.  I think I would put the word aerial between quotation marks - still not convinced about it. :-\

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Thursday 06 August 15 23:03 BST (UK) »
Good evening again,

I think if it was an aerial it would have more than two uprights and would have some lattice work between them.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Thursday 06 August 15 23:08 BST (UK) »
Time to confess.

The ''aerial'' idea was mine. I first raised it in relation to the weather vane  :-[. My initial impression was that we had a communications tower and followed that with '' gee that must be an aerial sticking above it'' . That then led to the Military Impressment for the war which led to Military Convalescent etc etc

I was never aware of the idea about those two lines being anything other than natural growth

Apologies all  ;D

Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Thursday 06 August 15 23:39 BST (UK) »
(I thought I'd posted this a few minutes ago but it doesn't seem to be there, so apologies if anyone sees it twice.)

Just found an article on Arts and Crafts houses:

http://ukmarketreview.co.uk/mr32/jeremy_musson.html

It doesn't get us any nearer, but I thought it was interesting.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Friday 07 August 15 00:41 BST (UK) »
That fits in with the Sporting Estate theory in Remote Scotland, Cumberland/Westmorland or Wales.

There has been a bit of debate over several aspects of these buildings however I think everyone is in agreement that this style of architecture is most prevalent in the southern counties and that is where Caz's house is, or was situated.

John, regarding the open door to the right of the gabled house - I think it is very difficult to judge the distances between buildings. They appear to be very close together, but there is likely to be a reasonable distance between house, greenhouse, skylight building and gabled house. To me it looks like the gabled house is higher up the 'hill' than the mystery house, so the open door, possibly to an outhouse or wall behind the gabled house, looks higher up again. Hope I've explained that well enough. It's quite deceptive I believe.  :)

I'm off to do some searching now ....  ::)  :)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Friday 07 August 15 00:53 BST (UK) »
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Friday 07 August 15 03:52 BST (UK) »
Wow, 14 pages to catch up on, everyone's been really busy!  Sorry I haven't had a chance to be around the last couple of days.

Can anyone make out stuff in the tower? I was hoping if I got a better scan we might be able to make out something in their that would give us a clue to as to it's use, but the opaqueness of the glass makes it hard to see. 

Do the front windows look like they open?

Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]