Author Topic: Sproul/Whitehill/Galbraith, Paisley...  (Read 2335 times)

Offline StewieP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sproul/Whitehill/Galbraith, Paisley...
« on: Monday 10 August 15 04:25 BST (UK) »

Hello, all!

I'm looking for any information on the name Sproul in Paisley, specifically my maternal great-great-grandmother, Robina Sproul (1875-1940) - which isn't a name you hear every day!

What I know is that Robina Sproul was born 23rd January 1875 in Paisley to Mary-Ann Sproul (whose job is 'yarn dryer') with no father's name on the birth certificate - and indeed 'illegitimate' written on it! Mary-Ann marked the certificate with an 'x', indicating she perhaps couldn't write. I believe Mary-Ann's parents were Robert Sproul - born around 1814 - and Mary Graham, born around 1823.

Robert Sproul's parents were Andrew Sproul and Ann Speirs, who were married around 20th November 1811 in the Abbey district of Paisley - for which I found the old parish record. As far as I know, Mary Graham's parents were Archibald Graham and Hannah McVicar, but I know nothing more about them.

To return to Robina Sproul, she married James Whitehill McLean (of Paisley) on 3rd October 1902. He must've been born around 1871-4, and his parents were Joseph McLean and Janet Whitehill, who married 1869, Paisley. It gets a little murky before that, but just in case anything sounds familiar: Joseph McLean's parents were James McLean and Sarah Galbraith/Galbreath, who married on 16th March 1833, Paisley.

Janet Whitehill's parents were James Whitehill (born 1819 in Houston; died 1876, Paisley) and Marion Paton (1820-1899); his parents were Peter Whitehill and Margaret McEwen/McEwing. Marion Paton's parents were John Paton and Marion Craig.

I planned to keep that simple, but hey...got out of hand :s

If anyone therefore can make any sense of all that and gimme some hints/info, I'd be delighted to hear it!

Many thanks,

Stewart Potter.

Offline mikel2009

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Sproul/Whitehill/Galbraith, Paisley...
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 September 15 01:49 BST (UK) »
Well now cousin!
I regret I cannot help you much on Sproul which was your query.
However I can certainly link with you as a direct descendent of John Paton and Marion Craig.
I have researched our Whitehill connections in Paisley and Canada but not found a geneologist amongst them and so not contacted them.
Happy to exchange info with you on that side of the family.
Moira

Offline StewieP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 September 15 01:55 BST (UK) »
Why, hello, cuz!

Given that I know practically nothing about the Paton/Craig connection, any  info on them is much-appreciated!

Now I just need to figure out if I can contact you on here...!

Best,

Stewart.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 September 15 15:27 BST (UK) »
Hi you can contact him by  clicking on the personal message button under your user name  :)