Author Topic: Denmark help- CHRISTENSEN, Aarhus  (Read 924 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Denmark help- CHRISTENSEN, Aarhus
« on: Monday 10 August 15 18:40 BST (UK) »
It seems that Hans Christensen & Birthe Kristine Sorenson had (at least) 16 children so I am busy slogging through the church records for Vor Fru Kirke but so far 2 Confirmation records give another church for children's christenings (which probably explains why a search of the Vor Fru Kirke christening records 30 years ago didn't find all the family).

I have found one of the baptisms so far and can read the main details but there's a note in the right column which I'm not sure about. Would greatly appreciate if anyone can tell me what it says.

The child is Lyberg (written as Syberg in other records) Frederik Christensen born 22 Aug.1879 & christened in church 7 Sept.1879- 5th from the top:
https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/billedviser?epid=17128480#173241,29115598
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Denmark help- CHRISTENSEN, Aarhus
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hi aghadowey,

It's on page 71 of that set (for anyone else looking) (The URL you posted is correct, but somehow reverts back to it’s original master URL address  when trying to fly there)

Without having even looked at the margin note, seeing the cross-out and rewriting/positioning of 'Lyberg' my first comment was :

I'd say the child should be named Frederik Christensen Lyberg

That is, CHRISTENSEN being the patronymic 'surname'  and LYBERG the 'farm' or location surname, sometimes an occupation or some other identifier name- helps identify and differentiate family groups.  I have a big Danish ancestry, and this was common. One of mine is Anders Gaarn Clausen Bach (or Bak),  another was  Lars  Pedersen Smid (or Smed) for example. Some records list both 'surnames', some only the patronymic.   Sometimes the identifier name changes (one of mine, admittedly a complicated line, was variably identified by his stepfather's ID name and by his mother's family ID name at other times, as well as his patronymic).

I believe the right margin note is explaining that the name has been corrected in the register:
To:     Frederik Christensen Lyberg

"Ffolge Sh------  fra Over-Præsidenten af København er Navnet nu Frederik Christensen Lyberg"

Not sure on the first two words, might be someone's name? But I'd bet they  translate to  something like "Following correspondence',  as  'Følge' means follow and I thought the second word looked similar to german Shrieben (writing).

But after that I believe it says:
"......from the Presidency of Copenhagen his name is now Frederik Christensen Lyberg"

The Bureau, Copenhagen - or "Københavns Overpræsidium"
https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%B8benhavns_Overpr%C3%A6sidium

Looks to me like the original correction was 2 Nov 1910, followed by a second 'sign off in 1936, (unless 1936 is not a year but a file number!)

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 14:21 BST (UK) »
I agree with Ambly's interpretation.
The second word of the note is Skrivelse = letter.
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Stornoway
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 August 15 13:14 BST (UK) »
Haven't been online since Monday night and it's a lovely surprise to get the replies here. Many, many thanks to both of your help.

This new information gives me a link to further details about Frederik as I've just found him listed here-
http://www.politietsregisterblade.dk/component/sfup/?controller=politregisterblade&task=viewRegisterblad&id=2428484&searchname=polit_simple

I've been going through so many pages of the parish records that I'm probably muttering Danish names in my sleep  ;)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!