Author Topic: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845 Part 1  (Read 66405 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845
« Reply #144 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 22:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ruth
Regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 21:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark,

A new line of thought

Apprentice school

Selby maybe similar to London link!

I don't know exactly what the meaning of this is but on George's Bond Allegation 1815 marriage of intent, its says in hand writing. Quote:- Robert Sinclair, master of arts commissary or office
of the peculiar and spiritual jurisdiction of Selby (Cooper)[
]. Unquote

At first I though Robert Sinclair had a university degree in 'arts' but having reading this website link (Not Selby) apprenticeships in London for boys after 1692 boys could be sent to a type of industrial school in the parish

Quote from link:- Besides acting as a house of correction, Bridewell Hospital also acted as an industrial school, with Apprentice (or Arts) Masters employed to train boys from London: unquote.

http://www.londonlives.org/static/IA.jsp
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Thursday 22 October 15 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hi

I had already searched for Apprentice records for George but without success. 

However, the marriage bond potentially suggests George could have done his apprenticeship with a Robert Sinclair.  The wording also seems to suggest that Robert Sinclair was providing services through the Parish.   The masters did not have to pay stamp duty on the apprentices that were assigned by the parish. This means apprentices  are not  included on Apprenticeship records.   Perhaps the Parish Chest may have something.  Overseers Assessment Selby 1750 - 1808 are  on MF1774 at the Borthwick.
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Thursday 22 October 15 15:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Goughy

If the scenario was the case, of Mark's that Mrs Slipper and J Hood lived at the same adode, Mrs Slipper had George in illegitimacy  and George was basically brought up by (financially- J Hood pays the parish maintenance money) the parish of Selby and Mrs Slipper (Widow ?), 18th century parish poor records may hold (workhouse records but not in the workhouse) parish births of the poor. This could explain George's education (to write /read) in schooling and trade. J Hood sets George up financially later. ( while J hood is still alive).

J Hood could be John, Joseph, Joshua, Jonathan ........... etc.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Thursday 22 October 15 20:11 BST (UK) »
Hello dobfarm and Goughy

Thanks for your comments.

The two documents that the Borthwick sent (besides the Selby Parish Marriage Register page from Selby Library), regarding the Bond and Licence, says "Robert Sinclair Master of Arts Commissary or Official of the Peculiar and Spiritual Jurisdiction of Selby" ... No mention of Sinclair being a Cooper.

Other document dated 16th May 1815 says:-
"On which Day appeared personally George Hood of Selby in the Peculiar and Spiritual Jurisdiction of Selby aforesaid' Cooper" ...

George Hood was the Cooper.

I have been searching 'Selby' and various search words and found this in The Leeds Intelligencer newspaper dated 6 October 1800:-

To COOPERS.
WANTED Immediately, A JOURNEY-
MAN COOPER, who is perfect Master of his
Business, and has been accustomed to make Kitls and
Buckets.- He must be well recommended for Honesty
and Sobriety.
Apply (if by Letter Post-paid,) to Mr. Richard
Gibson, Cooper, Selby.

Richard Gibson's name appears in one of the later George Hood Deed copies.

Kind regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: Thursday 22 October 15 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hampshire and Sussex chronicle 15th June 1807
 Bankrupt R Gibson Cooper, of Selby

Leeds Mercury 21sy June 1823
Deaths
Monday last age 76 -Mrs Law relict of the late Mr Law, Cooper of Selby -

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: Thursday 22 October 15 22:16 BST (UK) »

Leeds Mercury 21sy June 1823
Deaths
Monday last age 76 -Mrs Law relict of the late Mr Law, Cooper of Selby -

Matthew Law, Cooper died 1799
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: Friday 23 October 15 07:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Goughy and dobfarm

Thank you.

We are going to make a visit, to the Hull History Centre, I hear they have Muster Rolls, they tell me the Hull Cemeteries are old enough for an 1845 death (not online) and they also list some Manorial records for Selby.

Regarding the Selby Land Tax, I am going back, to download some more. "Mrs Slipper & J Hood" in 1781 were occupying two Tenements. They were probably in separate neighbouring Tenements and really should have been shown, one name, above or below the other.

Selby Land Tax
1781 and 1782
Proprietor                       Occupiers
Mr Turner  2 Tenem'ts  Mrs Slipper & J. Hood

Selby Land Tax 1814
Proprietor          Occupier
M' Spencer        1st Ten'mt  Mr Hood
                            2nd ----------   -------------

Kind regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: Friday 23 October 15 08:43 BST (UK) »
Hannah Hood Marries Michael Fisher 2 April 1749 Holy Trinity Hull

Following your search with great interest!

After making that posting (a page back, p.16) about Roger Hood's 1727 Will, also some questions, arising from the Selby Parish Register transcriptions about the gap (no Hood references in the Parish Register at Selby) from 1757 - until the Selby 1794 Marriage of Maudland Hood (dau of John Hood of Selby, Mariner), I received the above, in answer to one question.

Not all of those Hood's born/baptised at Selby before 1757 have been buried at Selby according to the transcriptions, there are two Nathaniel Hoods and a couple of other Hoods apparently baptised or from Selby.

After getting this response to one of my questions, it appears that Hannah Hood [was from Selby because of a reference in the Selby transcriptions linking her to Michael Fisher] has married a Michael Fisher in Hull in 1749.

I am getting a feeling, that at least some Selby Hoods surviving the gap from 1757 (regarding Hoods mentioned in the Selby Registers), have migrated along the Rivers frequented by these Coasters and Sailing Vessels?

Regarding, the above reply, a Michael Fisher is sailing from Hull on the 'Constant Ann' and the 'Nancy' from at least 1755 to 1761.

Also, another Hood, a Michael Hood (place of birth unknown) is sailing the 'Michael and Ann' from Hull to Bridlington, Berwick and other coastal places, from at least 1755 and (on another boat) into the 1760s.

Also a:-
"J. Hood" from Hull on the 'York Union' and the 'Two Brothers' including to Dublin 11 Oct 1777 (classed as an 'Export' per newspaper) and to Newcastle etc (1774 to 1778);

a "John Hood" the 'Brothers' to London (1778);

and a "Hood" on the vessel called 'Industry', the 'Bedale', and the 'Betsy' (1780 to 1792),

likely our Selby Mariner John Hood and these are all one of the same?

Hannah Hood's husband Michael Fisher could be a Mariner, any reference on their Marriage to his occupation, please?

Also this Michael Hood, sailing out of Hull?

And, some of this Selby - Hood - Sailing, connection sailing from Hull, could link up eventually, with William Hood in London, it is a great shame, that the Will fails to say where George Hood was from, which makes me wonder if there is an Inland Revenue Abtract also, which tells us more about the beneficiaries?

Thanks and kind regards, Mark

EDIT: above slightly edited, regarding the Inland Revenue records (re Stamp, Legacy and Estate Duty) Abstracts of Wills, TNA, Kew, have only kept them for prominent or famous persons!!

I have found both the Will and Copy Stamp Duty document of my Two Times Gt Grandfather at Leicester Record Office.

I will contact the London Met Archive and see if they have the copy Inland Revenue document, for William Hood's 1817 Will, as some Local Record Offices must have acquired the Copy.