Author Topic: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845 Part 1  (Read 66316 times)

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845
« Reply #162 on: Monday 26 October 15 23:17 GMT (UK) »
It was a Chapel of Ease at Barlow - Brayton is the mother church
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: Friday 30 October 15 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your replies

Finally, I now have the estimate and have ordered by return, the staff file pages of the Poor Law Union relating to Selby, to see if they cover George Hood (who was 'elected' Overseer in 1838, after finding his election in the newspaper), I am not hopeful as the government catalogue description suggests they are the paid staff of the Selby Poor Law Union and George Hood was 'Elected', but two archives have noted the file reference  ;D

Also been Googling to see if a file might exist for James Hood 1855 bankruptcy (as the same James Hood of Selby, I believe, was one of George Hood's sons), sometimes inheritances, or possible future inheritances and family relationships were considered in later, 20th Century Bankruptcy files.

Does anyone know if and where Yorkshire Bankruptcy files might now be held, please?

Two of the Bankruptcy Notices of James Hood of Selby
In the Matter of James Hood, of Selby, Currier, against
whom a Petition in Bankruptcy was issued on the 17th
day of March, 1855.
I HEREBY give notice, that the creditors who have
proved their debts under the above estate may receive
a First Dividend of 1s. 10d. in the pound, upon application
at my office, as under, on any day, between the hours
of eleven and two. No Dividend will be paid without the
production of the securities exhibited at the time of proving
the debt. Executors and administrators will be required to
produce the probate of the will or the letters of administra-
tion under which they claim.
GEO. YOUNG, Official Assignee,
5, Park-row, Leeds.

MARTIN JOHN WEST, Esq., one of the Com-
missioners of Her Majesty's Court of Bankruptcy
for the Leeds District, acting in the prosecution of a Petition
for adjudication of Bankruptcy, filed against James Hood,
of Selby, in the county of York, Currier, Dealer and Chap-
man, hath allowed to the said bankrupt a Certificate of con-
formity of the second class, bearing date the 8th day of June,
1855; and such Certificate will be delivered to the said
bankrupt at the expiration of twenty-one days from the date
hereof, unless an appeal be duly entered against the same.

EDIT: Since posting, I have been emailing Wakefield regarding any possible 1855 Bankruptcy file?

Thanks and regards, Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: Monday 02 November 15 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Thorganby Burial

Mary TATE HOOD

Wife of Thomas TATE HOOD  ???

Labourer

21st May, 1781

http://www.thorganby.co.uk/burials2.htm

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark

Chester Newby
Born in Whitley Bridge 1790 Parents Thomas and Hannah Newby (nee Chester)
Married Elizabeth Goulton 30 Jan 1814  (Chester of Snaith Parish - Elizabeth Selby Parish
Re-married 1841 in Rawcliffe, Goole to Mary Ann Pease - residence at time of marriage Barlow
1841 Census residence  Barlow
1851 Census visitor Barlow
Died 25 Sept 1859 Selby District
Probate Calendar describes him as Gentleman of Snaith

Goughy

Thanks Goughy

At the Library I found Chester Newby a Miller (on George Hood's 16 May 1815 Marriage Bond), in the 1841 & 1851 Census, born Witley, Yorkshire, circa 1790.

Also I managed to find the Baptism entry for Whitley, it appears to be put down as August Newby, but when opening it says under Baptisms 1790 ... 8[?] "August Chester So of Thomas & Hannah Newby Whitley"

Whitley is obviously South South West of Selby, as the same page for Chester Newby Baptism at Whitley, refers to Beall [Beal], Whitley and Kellington in other entries on the page.

Then my hour time limit ran out.

Regards Mark

EDIT: thanks dobfarm

Regarding Mary TATE HOOD wife of Thomas TATE HOOD Labourer buried at Thorganby, 21st May 1781.

If you alter the end figure in the link from 2 to 3, you should get the next internet page of burials and locate a Thomas TATE Shoemaker, died 27th December 1805 of natural decay. Abode Thorganby. Buried 27th December, 76 years.

If her husband was a TATE, then quite where the Hood in 'TATE HOOD' comes from, I don't know.

However, there is a SAMUEL HOOD Barbour and Surgeon from Selby buried at Thorganby, 1st July 1737.

In 2011 we visited Selby Abbey on the way home and afterward, as I saw the sign when entering Snaith, I suddenly had a feeling, an urge that we should stop, to see if George Hood was buried at Snaith. But my wife, wanted to get back and we continued.

George Hood is a mystery, the only thing passed down was that Sarah Hood (wife of John Hood, tanner of Selby, George's son), considered herself 'Gentry', but I thought she was an ordinary lass. Sarah Hood died at "Home on Spalding Moor" in 1886, aged 66 and was brought back to Selby and buried 3rd July in the same grave 1531 as John Hood, tanner of Gowthorpe, Selby, her husband, in the Selby Town Cemetery.

Thanks.

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: Saturday 07 November 15 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello Goughy, dobfarm and All,

Please see my questions near the bottom, I have had all my photocopies out and come to the conclusion that there must be some missing Hood (sideways) connections in the Selby area, which I hope will lead back to other earlier Hood's.

One point passed down, was that forenames were taken from the previous generation. However, I have noticed that mainly in the sideways connections (from the direct line of descent) that surnames have appeared as middle names, between 1854 and 1884.

July 1815 George Hood (birth unknown) marries Sarah Russel (born Selby 30 Sept 1793), my 4 X Gt. Grandparents.

Known Children of Geo Hood Marrying
1847 John Hood, tanner, of Selby, marr Sarah Richardson at Sculcoates (from Certificate), my 3 X Gt Grandparents.
1851 William Hood of Selby, brewer, marr Jane Casson (born Thorne), at Scarbro' Register Office.
1851 James Hood, currier, marr Sarah Arundel, both of Selby.
1855 George Hood, farmer, marr Ann Marrison (born Blyth, Notts), at Selby.

Hood Births incorporating Surnames in the Selby Registration District - incl surrounding areas
1854 Clara Richardson Hood (John Hood, tanner and Sarah's daughter) Gowthorpe, Selby 1861.
1854 Elizabeth Cook Hood (Elizabeth C. Hood) Ousegate in 1861, Granddaughter in the household of Mary Wilkinson (Head) & Son-in-Law James & Sarah Hood.
1857 Edwin Casson Hood (Wm & Jane's son), Wren Lane 1861, Jane Hood was nee Casson.
1858 John Wilkinson Hood (James Hood was Son-in-Law of 'Head' Mary Wilkinson, but James wife was nee Arundel)?
1861 Matilda Vincent Hood (born March Qtr, but not on 1861 Census? Died 1862) - Where in 1861 Census, Hood/Emily Vincent (parents per IGI) a bit of a mystery??
1861 William Russell Hood (William R Hood) at Ousegate 1861 with James & family & Mary Wilkinson (Head). Russel was the surname of Sarah Russel, wife of George Hood Sen'r (so middle name taken from 2 generations back).
1863 Mary Beatrice Hood (not searched for) - Beatrice can be a surname & forename.
1870 Bernard Pearson Hood born Scarbro' District (son of James Hood online source, not chk'd), investigating, Birth Cert ordered.

Two John Hood deaths in the Registration District of Selby in Dec Qtr 1860, separated by one page in Register (both Certs ordered).

I have ordered Certificates for the remaining marriages and others for some of these above.

James Hood was Son-in-Law of Mary Wilkinson, per Census.

Elizabeth Cook Hood, or Cook surname, wonder how this fits?

Bernard Pearson Hood, or Pearson surname, does this link to a previous Hood generation, I am wondering (Cert ordered for birth address in Scarbro' District)?

Matilda Vincent Hood registered March Quarter 1861. IGI - apparently daughter of:- Hood and Emily Vincent born in the March 1861 Qtr. Baptised later at Drax 5 June 1861, died in 1862 (Birth Cert ordered).

Hannah Hood death March Qtr 1868, aged 24, death registered in the Selby District, not noticed previously in the Selby Census's as born Selby (Cert ordered).

Incidentally, there was a marriage 24 December 1839 in the Parish Church of Riccall John Hood to Elizabeth Lazenby, both of full age, but Batchelor and Spinster, registered at Selby (from GRO Cert).

I might discover a little more as the Certificates arrive, but surnames Cook, Vincent and Pearson and a few odds and ends are unclear?

The Russel in William Russell Hood, goes back two generations.

Thanks Mark

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: Saturday 07 November 15 18:41 GMT (UK) »

1861 Matilda Vincent Hood (born March Qtr, but not on 1861 Census? Died 1862) - Where in 1861 Census??

Matilda Vincent Hood registered March Quarter 1861. IGI - apparently daughter of:- Hood and Emily Vincent born in the March 1861 Qtr. Baptised later at Drax 5 June 1861, died in 1862 (Birth Cert ordered).

Hi Mark

Matilda Vincent Hood was the illegitimate daughter of Emily Vincent Hood (transcribed on 1861 census "Mittilda")  Emily Vincent Hood was the daughter of Samuel Hood born Circa 1816 Ditchingham, Norfolk and wife Sarah born circa 1815, Colton, Nofolk.  Samuel was a Farm Baliff living in Long Drax in 1861 Census.  He seemed to move around a lot. 

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: Saturday 07 November 15 18:52 GMT (UK) »

1863 Mary Beatrice Hood (not searched for) - Beatrice can be a surname & forename.

Mary Beatrice Hood is the daughter of William Hood and Jane Casson

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: Saturday 07 November 15 19:45 GMT (UK) »

1858 John Wilkinson Hood (James Hood was Son-in-Law of 'Head' Mary Wilkinson, but James wife was nee Arundel)?

James Hood was Son-in-Law of Mary Wilkinson, per Census.

Sarah Arundel was the illegitimate daughter of Mary Arundel who married John Wilkinson, therefore Mary Wilkinson is the mother-in-law of James.   Sarah Arundel is living with John and Mary Wilkinson in 1851 Census (may be he was Sarah's father, or just brought her up as his "daughter")