Author Topic: railway cottages, south shields  (Read 3708 times)

Offline Claremont

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
railway cottages, south shields
« on: Monday 17 August 15 05:58 BST (UK) »
My grandfather is listed on the census as living at 3 Railway Cottages, South Shields.  I saw an article researched by the Shields Gazette showing a picture of the Station Cottages in South Shields.  I wonder if anyone knows if these are one and the same? 

Online chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: railway cottages, south shields
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 August 15 06:59 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat, Claremont.

Have you considered contacting the Shields Gazette to see if they can help you?

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 August 15 07:50 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :) :)

I think this is the article you mention which refers to the railway cottages at Tyne Dock.  http://www.shieldsgazette.com/cookson-country/station-cottages-were-home-to-railway-workers-1-7141116

It may help you to work out whether your grandfather was living in the Tyne Dock area of South Shields - The first census image of the Enumeration District where he lived will give a description of it and this links to an old map of the Tyne Dock area although the railway station cottages are not marked  http://maps.nls.uk/view/101027583

Kay

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 August 15 08:39 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat
The Railway Cottages, Tyne Dock, Simonside, were on Green Lane. Go to https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/435687/563924/12/101064 and you will have to zoom out if you are not a subscriber. In the 1911 census there is no No.3, the numbers start at No. 12. When did your grandfather live there, which census?

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 August 15 09:36 BST (UK) »
2 Railway Cottages were there in the 1881 Census, Henry Alcock, a Permanent Way Inspector. RG11 Piece 5018 Folio 8  Page 9.
See map at http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=16&lat=54.9692&lon=-1.4463&layers=171&right=BingHyb

Stan

Offline taffie01

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 August 15 20:01 BST (UK) »
welcome to rootschat claremont.

at Tyne Dock station the line crosses Boldon Lane by a bridge towards Harton Junction. Adjacent to Harton junction are two rows of cottages accessed by a bridge parallel to the railway bridge.
 at the back of my mind I think that these houses were called Railway/ Station Cottages. seem to think also that they were featured in a Catherine Cookson novel.

if you use the reference to the side by side map that Stan has kindly provided and scroll up, the cottages can clearly be seen on the left side of the line, and also the bridge crossing Boldon lane.

if Stan has identified Railway cottages elsewhere perhaps the the ones I have found were station cottages.
hope this does not complicate things just food for thought

cheers
 taffie

Offline Claremont

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 August 15 20:24 BST (UK) »
I am amazed and delighted by all the helpful responses to my question.  Thank you very much for the welcome and for the ideas.   Shields Gazette is a good idea, Chempat,  and I will follow up on that.   And yes, Kay 99, the article you reference is the one I had mentioned.  Thank you, Stan, for the detailed information. 
My grandfather lived at 3 Railway Cottages when he was 20 years old, according to the 1881 census. 
He was born in 1860 and the family lived in 1861 (census) at Royal Oak Inn, 159 West Holborn, South Shields.  In 1871 the address was 101 Bede Street.  At the time of my grandfather’s marriage in 1884, his address was given as Tyne Dock.
My grandfather’s father worked variously as an agricultural laborer, a trimmer, a ballast trimmer, a dock laborer, in an iron yard, the 1901 census says he was a retired railway worker.  I wondered if this last entry entitled him to a railway cottage. 
I hope this isn’t too much information, but I am inexperienced at this and am trying to put it all together.
Thank you again.
P.S.  Just received the most helpful "food for thought" from Taffie.  Thank you.  I will work now onall your good ideas

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 August 15 21:49 BST (UK) »
2 Railway Cottages were there in the 1881 Census,  RG11 Piece 5018 Folio 8  Page 9.

3 Railway Cottages in the 1881 Census is at RG11 Piece 5018 Folio 7  Page 7.
On that page they are called "Railway Cottages" but in the description of the enumeration district they are called "Railway Station Cottages" and are near Harton Junction. See the map at https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/435749/564663/12/101064  or http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=16&lat=54.9762&lon=-1.4439&layers=171&right=BingHyb

Knowing the name of your grandfather would help to get the correct location.

Stan

Offline Claremont

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 01:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Stan, for the maps.  I was very pleased to locate Bede Street, which I see from the modern map no longer exists.  They also lived on Stanhope Street.  I was interested to see Whitehead Street as I had been told that a great-grandfather (not this family) had been a contractor and a street he had been involved in building was named for him--William Whitehead. 
But,  I am afraid that after searching and searching, I am not able to locate the Railway Cottages.  I am probably (well, certainly) doing something wrong.  I can find the railway junction at West Harton, but I don’t see anything labelled Railway Cottages.  Are they in that area just north and to the west of Harton Colliery?
Stan, you say that having the name would make it easier.  My grandfather was William James Snaith.  His father was John Snaith (born abt 1823), and his older siblings were Jane Elizabeth and John Francis.