Author Topic: Confimation of Marriage - Joseph Wilson and Margaret Dixon 31st Dec 1898  (Read 7818 times)

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Confimation of Marriage - Joseph Wilson and Margaret Dixon 31st Dec 1898
« on: Tuesday 18 August 15 22:10 BST (UK) »
F.S. gave me above wedding, including the fact that Joseph's father ( yet another Joseph) was at the wedding, however I can find no follow up on 1901 or 1911 census to prove.

Joseph was born in 1874 IN Chirton, last census I have for him is 1891, when he was at home in Willington High Row Chirton and was a colliery labourer age 14.

The above Marriage took place in Long Benton. Margaret's Father was Richard Dixon.

Best

John.T.
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)
Macaire. Eusebe. Boitel. Beaulieu. Gordon. Tillman. Fear. Wood.
 ( London/ Middlesex & Devon )

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Confimation of Marriage - Joseph Wilson and Margaret Dixon 31st Dec 1898
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 22:56 BST (UK) »
You have posted on the Durham board but Chirton is in Northumberland and they married in Northumberland.  Is there a  connection to Durham?

including the fact that Joseph's father ( yet another Joseph) was at the wedding,

Marriage certs give fathers names and occupations but they don't say whether or not they actually attended the wedding

Are you descended from one of Joseph & Margaret's children?  If so - have you tried looking just for that child on the 1901/1911 census
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 10:35 BST (UK) »
There is a baptism for a Joseph Wilson born 6/10/1876 Chirton baptism date 27/3/1886 father Joseph Wilson mother Mary ...A tree has a marriage for the parent's of this Joseph to a Mary Emerson ...There is a registration July --Sept Joseph Wilson to Mary Emerson 1866 Newcastle Upon Tyne .. Joseph Wilson born 1876 is with his parent's on the 1891 census ? Who is it you are looking for in 1901 census /1911 is it the son born 1876  ??? We can't post details of the later censuses but if you look for a Eveline Wilson b 1910 living Longbenton this could be the same family
Rosie

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 12:22 BST (UK) »
Bless you Rosie

Will try that one, sounds like a good lead.

Best

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 12:56 BST (UK) »
Me thinks happy with that thank you Rosie

Couple of years out on Marriage and birth, but place of birth spot on and just happens that his younger brother Thomas Hunter, is a Platelayer at SEATON Burn Coal,where he works - poor Margaret with loss of five children, do hope they had better times to come.

Best

John

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 17:21 BST (UK) »
His marriage gives him a birth year of 1877 ...If you look at the B M D possible children born for this couple ..Could not trace him in the 1901 census ?
Rosie

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 20:38 BST (UK) »
Cannot quite get where young Ernest was born in 1905 appears to be Wallsend, but difficult to read.
Have often found that in the ten year interval of censuses, people have sometimes aged up to twenty years. The place of birth also changes year on year ! how one can spell SPITTAL as spatale !

could be wrong but think this is right family -what's your opinion please Rosie.

Best

John

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 August 15 05:40 BST (UK) »
I would say going by the census forms and place of birth this is the right family looks like Wallsend place of birth for Ernest and Forest Hall for Eveline
Rosie

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 August 15 12:46 BST (UK) »
So another question  ( and this time I got on the shields ferry first ) so being on the correct side - and Joseph and Mary Emmerson having been mention - my question concerns Joseph's sister Thomasine ( born in Spittal not spatile ) and should I start a new request or continue here please ?

The situation is :
Thomasine b. 1847
Marries a John Miller (a Mariner) in March qtr 1865 Tynemouth 10b 307, by the1871 census they were Residing at Stephenson Street, Tynemouth , having produced Emily b. 1867  and Joseph in 1870;

John away at sea, and Thomasina down as seaman’s wife in 1881 and living at 28, Salem Street, Westoe, Durham, with Emily now 14, no sign of Joseph – and two more girls Thomasina b. 1872 and Lavinia b. 1875 ( All the children had been born in North shields).
So it would be sometime after 1875 before they moved across the tyne to live in South Shields1891  and John is back home, with Thomasine now living in 71 Savilla Street Westoe no sign of Emily ( maybe married) other two daughters still at home, Lavinia had become a Milliner's Apprentice.
Then I've lost them !! - of their children Thomasine & Lavinia both married before 1901 census, No sign of Emily still and Joseph had died - (think my research vision is becoming impaired or just old age winning!

Best

John