Author Topic: Spain birth certificate  (Read 2880 times)

Offline kmdryd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Spain birth certificate
« on: Friday 21 August 15 12:28 BST (UK) »
I may have asked this question years ago but I can't remember.  ???
I have a gx3 grandmother born circa 1821 Spain.  According to her  marriage certificate in Glenfield , Leicestershire, Uk, 1840 her name  was Johanna Mary Lucambro.  her father was recorded as Juan Lucambro a carpenter.
Johanna married William Jarvis who was in the Royal Artillery.  I assume he met Johanna when he was stationed in Gibraltar.  I have a copy of their entry in the 1881 and 1891 census'.
I have searched different Spanish sites with no joy. 
I would love to find Johannas' birth certificate and find who my gx4  grandparents were.   
Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you
Frost, Jarvis, Bower, King, Whiles, Dawson, Ross, McKenzie, Clemson, Eagles, Stanton, Gale, Sharpe, Newson, Hines, Howard, Williams, Watkins, Cupitt, Penrose,Carey, Tuck, Malyon, Moore, Bensley, Nunn, Doyle.

Offline Erin2012

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Spain birth certificate
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 August 15 19:21 BST (UK) »
You need to know exactly where she was born to ask that exact civil registry for the details of her birth.

Hopefully some day every city in Spain will get organized and create a database.

Is the surname really Lucambro? I have never heard it before.
Keane (Westmeath)
Ledwith (Longford/Westmeath)
Gray (Sligo)
Eustace (Louth)
Frost (Suffolk)
Farrar (Yorkshire)
La Favor/Lefebvre (Quebec)
Mineard/Maynard/Mainard/ Maynord (Wiltshire/Monmouthshire)

Offline kmdryd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 August 15 02:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Erin.  I have just found a little clue.   On the 1881 Census her birth place was recorded as,  WHERE BORN.....(B.S)  Spain.  Also Lucambro could be wrong but it was what was written on her marriage certificate.  Or what I think it is.  I have nothing else to compare this name with.  Maybe if I could find her entry into the UK, I may get some more details from there.

Frost, Jarvis, Bower, King, Whiles, Dawson, Ross, McKenzie, Clemson, Eagles, Stanton, Gale, Sharpe, Newson, Hines, Howard, Williams, Watkins, Cupitt, Penrose,Carey, Tuck, Malyon, Moore, Bensley, Nunn, Doyle.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 August 15 07:55 BST (UK) »
I searched for Lucambro on Familysearch and there were none - most of the results were Lacambra, so I am wondering if that should be the spelling ?
plus - some  of the Lacambra family I found were from Bilbao - which is a sea port. I wonder if B S might be related to Bilbao ?
a silly question - but did our troops go to Spain after 1815 - this is when our British Army left after defeating Napoleon - but did some stay like we did in Germany and South Africa after wars ??
maybe it was nothing to do with Gibralta - William Jarvis  may have been stationed in Galicia - we had thousands of troops there in 1815 ...
just another possible answer to consider
what year was William born ?...how old was he on the Marriage certificate ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Erin2012

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 August 15 09:37 BST (UK) »
There are tons of cities which are seaports, and Barcelona is another that begins with B.

I think we need more facts before we can guess any more about her life in Spain, where they met or how. What about a death cert any other documents.

Who knows B.S. could mean British Subject....
Keane (Westmeath)
Ledwith (Longford/Westmeath)
Gray (Sligo)
Eustace (Louth)
Frost (Suffolk)
Farrar (Yorkshire)
La Favor/Lefebvre (Quebec)
Mineard/Maynard/Mainard/ Maynord (Wiltshire/Monmouthshire)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 August 15 09:40 BST (UK) »
There are tons of cities which are seaports, and Barcelona is another that begins with B.

I think we need more facts before we can guess any more about her life in Spain, where they met or how. What about a death cert any other documents.

Who knows B.S. could mean British Subject....

very true Erin - I never gave Barcelona a thought ....
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline kmdryd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 August 15 10:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you Garstonite and Erin.  I will go through what I have and will post tomorrow with details about William.   :)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 August 15 13:48 BST (UK) »
B.S. will be "British Subject" on the censuses, nothing to do with birthplace. At this time, as the wife of a British subject she automatically had the same status.

http://www.nationalarchives.gi/gna/Inhabitants.aspx
Unfortunately not seeing any similar surname on the 1834 census.

You need to try and get more details of William Jarvis' movements in the 1830s, in my opinion. If he was in Gibraltar in the late 1830s (presuming he met her there and took her back to the UK to get married), she may have been from just across the border.

Question - when they married in 1840, where precisely was it? In the local parish church?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 August 15 14:12 BST (UK) »
I see in 1871 when the family are living in St Helier Jersey she is down as Mary and again born Spain British Subject. Their 17 year old daughter was born Cape of Good Hope so you need to try and work out where he was serving at various times.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk