Author Topic: Death Records  (Read 1065 times)

Offline margret

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death Records
« on: Saturday 22 August 15 22:26 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone has any suggestions, on how I can identify a death record with a birth record.
There is almost never any birth place on the Death record, only the Death place, date, and name of the person. How is one supposed to identify who the person is, if you do not know where they were born.
Martin in Kent,Canada,and Australia.
Waghorn in England, and Australia.
Snook in England, or world.
Skingle in England, or world.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Death Records
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 August 15 22:58 BST (UK) »
If you are looking in England or Wales, earlier death certificates didn't tell you where people were born. This tells you what can be found on them

http://home.clara.net/dixons/Certificates/deaths.htm

You need to narrow it down as much as possible by using cenuses eg when was the last census they were in and where were they living at that time. If they were married where is their spouse in the following census - that will give you some idea of when and where they died.  Then use Freebmd, look at ages and places of death. Sometimes you just have to take a chance and get the certificate, Hopefully the person who registered the death is a spouse or one of their children so you know that you have the right person.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 August 15 23:07 BST (UK) »
Depends what information you have, and how common the name is. For deaths 1969 onwards the date of birth was recorded, so you can make a good guess which quarter their birth was registered. Obviously for a woman they quite likely have a different surname. You may be able to work out when she married, therefore find her maiden name and see which birth records match. Looking at probate records could give you more information than the death certificate, too.
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline margret

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 August 15 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Groom

Thanks for your interest, but this man was on the 1911 census, he was then 39 years old, a baker living in Chatham. He could have migrated, or died anytime after that. It is a hard task to find him.
thanks
margret
Martin in Kent,Canada,and Australia.
Waghorn in England, and Australia.
Snook in England, or world.
Skingle in England, or world.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 August 15 23:14 BST (UK) »
Do you want to give his name, someone may be able to find him for you - as long as he isn't a John Smith!  ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 August 15 09:40 BST (UK) »
Even if someone appears to have no close family, they're not a lost cause! If someone died childless, they often left money to siblings, nieces and nephews. I'd start by looking at deaths in the area where he lived in 1911 (that would be Medway registration district, which later became Chatham district). If you find one the right age, look at the probate calendar. It'll give you an address, which may be the same as 1911, or the names given may be relatives. If it names a widow, he may have married after the 1911 census, and you can locate the marriage certificate to find out whether you're looking at the right person.
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!