Author Topic: Germany - LEUTZ family in Mosbach, 18thC and before...  (Read 2334 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Germany - LEUTZ family in Mosbach, 18thC and before...
« on: Tuesday 25 August 15 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hi, Everyone,
I would like to know whether anyone is researching the LEUTZ family.  A Godfrey LLOYDS, who died in St John's Street, Clerkenwell, London in 1825, aged 75, apparently Anglicised his name from Gottfried LEUTZ once he came to England (not exactly sure when that was, but possibly in the 1790's, or even before that). On his 1826 will it says he is from Mosbach, Germany.
His father could possibly have been a Johannes Valentinus LEUTZ, born or baptised in 1722, parents Valentini and Annae LEUTZ.
Are there BMD's stored somewhere for a place like Mosbach (and I have no idea whether there is just one place with this name in Germany or others too) that I might to be able to access to see whether the LEUTZ family resided in Mosbach for a while...
Many thanks,
Keith

Offline Gaie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • CenInf Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Germany - LEUTZ family in Mosbach, 18thC and before...
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 August 15 18:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith

The LDS have some transcribed records from Mosbach, Baden, Germany:

https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=75&query=%2Bsurname%3Aleutz~%20%2Bbatch_number%3AC95005-1

I can't see a Gottfried, but they seem to be short of births mid-C18th.

They have films for this period for Mosbach, both catholic and protestant:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01g0j/

You could hire and view them at your local LDS Centre; I've checked the London LDS website and they are not holding them in stock.

Possible marriage for Godfrey:  St George in the Easth, 12th December 1786, Godfrey LLOYDS, bachelor of the parish, to Sarah LONG, spinster of the parish, both signed, witnesses Wm Moxon and John Grainger.

There are some documents relating to Godrey at The National Archives and the LMA, including property insurance, and some court papers where it appears that the Crown sought to claim his estate after his death as he was an "alien"!

It is interesting that Godfrey called one of his sons Valentine.

KR Gaie

Added:  PS Ancestry is free this weekend!
Sussex, Burwash/Somerset/South London: PANKHURST/FABLING/GREEN/KING/PARROT/POPE/PEMBROKE
Notts/Leics/London: POLLARD/BELAND/FELLS/MORRISON/MARYSON/CLARKE
Northants: MARRIOT/T
Suffolk: LINGLY/LINGLEY/LINDLY/LINDLEY/ SEAGER /SIGGER/SEGGAR/VINCE
Gloucs: WINDOW Glamorgan: JENKINS Cardiganshire: JONES
Poland: OZIEMKIEWICZ France: LINETTE

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 August 15 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Gaie,
Thanks so much for all this lovely info re those German records.
I do already have all the details of Godfrey's marriage in 1786 that's exactly the right one that you have spotted -  and his subsequent descent in the London area to the present day; but you've given me some new ideas about how to go about tracing his Mosbach roots.  Will PM you…
Keith
Already have the document about his estate after he was dead, but not the property insurance one/ones, so will definitely look into that!

Offline Jimvin

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 August 15 19:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith again,
how is it going... do share your new ideas. Tricky one this because there are so many different spellings of Leutz. But Mosbach does limit us somewhat. James

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 August 15 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hi again, James,
No new ideas as yet, but I'm keeping options open, and will of course let you know as soon as anything turns up! Having Mosbach as Godfrey's/Gottfried's place of origin on his will does indeed narrow things down usefully...
Regards, Keith
…and as you can see from those (patchy) records that Gaie has so kindly unearthed for us, there's an identically named individual Joannes Valentinus Leuetz, baptised in 1688.  Someone in the family I think needs to go to Mosbach to see if they can search out any original records that might still exist.  I see too from that 1722 baptism that the word Katholisch is used...

Offline Jimvin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 March 19 13:30 BST (UK) »
Keith, I'm going via Mosbach this week and hope to spend a day at the records office in town. Hopefully be able to find a bit more. Johannes Valentin Leutz is my favoured record.  I note different spellings but I think  J V leutz sounds promising. His father was a Valentin/ Valentine/ Valentinus as well.

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 March 19 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Jimvin,
Now that could be very exciting indeed.  I've many times tried to persuade your relative TD ( I hope you know whom I'm referring to!) to go and spend some time in that German town in his travels there to spend a while browsing through their records.
Do have a look to see whether they have any old directories too that might identify other members of this LEUTZ family. And do let me know how you get on.
The other day I passed by the site of the establishment in St John's St, Clerkenwell, London where Godfrey LLOYDS had his wine shop/pub in the early 19thC...
Keith

Offline Jimvin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 March 19 13:55 BST (UK) »
One thing I did learn when I went to the London metropolitan archive on another assignment was godfrey had the hoop and adze on one side and a house on the other side a few doors up.  I think that was on an insurance record there. Don't have my notes to hand. From memory though not sure how long he was there. I'll try and look it out when home.

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 31 March 19 14:00 BST (UK) »
Oh, that's also extremely interesting.  Was that in response to the suggestion that Rootschatter Gaie made on here earlier?
Keith