Author Topic: Thomas Baylis, next of kin, 1853 in Stepney  (Read 1138 times)

Offline Humphpaul

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Baylis, next of kin, 1853 in Stepney
« on: Thursday 27 August 15 16:02 BST (UK) »
My relative Thomas Baylis was born around Maryport in Cumberland about 1780. But seems to have gone missing in the 1850/60s.

The family were interested in a notice which appeared in The Times in 1853 asking for next of kin for one of that name who died  about 29/12/1853 in Beaumont St, Stepney. Can someone tell me how to get a copy of that entry in The Times.
Thanks for reading this, Humphpaul 
Paul, Humphrey, Vaughan, Lewis, Williams, Parry, Jones, Fairclough, Howard, Allan, Baylis, Wright, Ritson.
Barmouth, Llangellinin, Liverpool, Maryport Cumberland, Port Glasgow, Nercwys (Nerquis), Mold, Gwysaney, Hope, Doddleston, Higher Kinnerton.

Online Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Baylis, next of kin, 1853 in Stepney
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 August 15 16:31 BST (UK) »
There was a notice in the Evening Standard 31 Dec 1853 , announcing the death of Thomas Baylis Esq of 17 Beaumont Square ,Mile End on 29 December in his 68th year. He is on the 1851 census at that address , occupation fundholder , so a person of private means. He also crops up on the London Electoral Registers in the 1830s and 1840s , although I haven't been able to pick him up on the 1841 census and there is also a will which can be accessed on Ancestry or downloaded from TNA for a small fee.

I don't know if any of the above will help. I'm not sure how you access the Times as an individual but I'm sure someone will be able to answer that.

Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 August 15 16:38 BST (UK) »
Just to add , now found at Beaumont Square on the 1841 census , transcribed Bayles, answering yes to born in same county.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 August 15 17:01 BST (UK) »
The Times is available online at home through many County Libraries.  You will I believe need a library card to do this.  Alternatively it may be available online at your local library.

It may just be me but I can't see any mention of it in this paper

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 August 15 17:23 BST (UK) »
Could this be your Thomas

Death Sep qtr 1855 
Thomas Baylis   
Cockermouth reg district    10b   265
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Humphpaul

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 August 15 12:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks to CB53 and Rosie I now have enough info to  know this TB was not my relative, so can close this entry.

I got his will on Ancestry thanks. The TB who died in Cockermouth in 1855 was a 14 year old lad in the family.

Incidently there is a legal firm in the USA which has a great alphabetical list of 'next-of-kin' searches and this one is still in it.

Many thanks again, cheers Humphpaul.
Paul, Humphrey, Vaughan, Lewis, Williams, Parry, Jones, Fairclough, Howard, Allan, Baylis, Wright, Ritson.
Barmouth, Llangellinin, Liverpool, Maryport Cumberland, Port Glasgow, Nercwys (Nerquis), Mold, Gwysaney, Hope, Doddleston, Higher Kinnerton.