Author Topic: Wicklow Regiment of Militia  (Read 4130 times)

Offline Hilliard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wicklow Regiment of Militia
« on: Saturday 29 August 15 19:00 BST (UK) »
I am researching a William Cooper from Kiltegan, Co Wicklow, who I believe was a Permanent Sergeant in the Wicklow militia sometime after 1816, possibly up to the 1840s.  Does anyone have access to a list of permanent staff of the regiment during this period or know where one could be found?  The regiment was 'disembodied' after 1816, but retained 24 sergeants and 30 corporals at that date.  The number of NCOs was gradually reduced thereafter (particularly in 1829).

William Cooper married Margaret Butler (from Hacketstown) around 1815.  The Adjutants of the Wicklow militia were William Butler (1817-21) and Richard Butler (1821-46), so there could have been a family connection in William's appointment. 

Richard Butler was a Lieutenant in the 91st Foot in the Peninsula Campaigns of 1813 and 1814.  William Cooper may also have been in the regular army and I have found someone of that name, born 1788 in Dublin (although that could just be his place of enlistment), who served as a private (latterly corporal) in the 2nd Battalion of the 83rd (County of Dublin) Foot between 1808 and 1816.  That battalion also served in the Peninsula.  There is a Royal Hospital Kilmainham pension record for the William Cooper in the 83rd Foot on find my past if anyone has access to that.  I'm not sure if he is the right person, but as my William Cooper's children were born from 1817 onwards the dates fit. 

Any information gratefully received.  Many thanks.  Kind regards.

Michael Cooper

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Wicklow Regiment of Militia
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 August 15 23:14 BST (UK) »
the record on FindMyPast states he was born in the parish of St Anns in Dublin. He was a Gardener by trade. Served from 1806 - 1816 as a Sergeant.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hilliard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 August 15 23:17 BST (UK) »
Very many thanks indeed.

Offline Hilliard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 07:54 BST (UK) »
I note that Thom's Directory (1844 onwards) lists all officers, but not NCOs.

Offline Hilliard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 September 15 06:58 BST (UK) »
Here is a link to a photo, at a slightly later date, of a young Parnell in the uniform of the regiment:

http://multitext.ucc.ie/d/Image_Photograph_of_the_young_Parnell_in_his_Wicklow_Rifles_uniform

Offline Denlen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 October 19 08:28 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for a William Cooper who was baptised in Aghold 30 Jul 1793, just wondered if you might have come across him whilst researching your William Cooper.

Denise

Offline Hilliard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 October 19 09:36 BST (UK) »
Since my original post I have found a reference to the marriage in 1804 of William Cooper to Margaret Butler in the Diocese of Ossory Ferns and Leighlin Marriage Licence Bonds indexes 1623-1866.  Their son, George Cooper (my gg grandfather) was born in 1817 and I have an old letter from his son-in-law recording that Peggy (Margaret) Butler of Hacketstown, Co Carlow was his wife's (paternal) grandmother.  These details perhaps suggest a birth date for my William Cooper in the early 1780s, so a different person from William Cooper of Aghold, bap 1793.  However, it would be very interesting to piece together the extended Cooper family in the area.  Best wishes Michael Cooper

Offline Denlen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 October 19 10:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. My 4xg grandparents were Simon & Deborah Cooper. Simon was born c. 1720. I don't where he was born or married. There are records of two children born in Aghold, William (my 3xg grandfather) born in 1751 and John born in 1760.

The family seemed to have moved around quite a lot and a few family members were in the Royal Irish Constabulary.

I've seen a post on the History of Coolkenno Faceback page from another descendent of your William Cooper.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 June 20 03:46 BST (UK) »
Does the application record for Kilmainham Hospital state whether he was granted a pension, or not? My guess/understanding is that he would not have been eligible for  a pension if still actively employed in the military. That would have been double jobbing. So, if that William Cooper was a pensioner, then probably not the same WC as the one in the Wicklow militia?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area