Author Topic: Fewins, Ashford-kent  (Read 1148 times)

Offline fewins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fewins, Ashford-kent
« on: Saturday 29 August 15 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,
  I am trying to trace back where my Gypsy roots actually came from, I know they come from my grandads side Michael Fewins of Ashford kent, who's family at one time worked with a travelling fair. I am struggling to find much info on all this and would love to know where it all started.
 Thanks!

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fewins, Ashford-kent
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 August 15 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome to RootsChat!

Do you have any more info on your Michael such as his date of birth/death/marriage/parents,etc?

Maureen

Offline fewins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 August 15 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hi, Thank you!
   So his full name was Michael Richard J Fewins he was born in 1931 in west Ashford, Surrey , his mothers maiden name was Keefe, he Married in Ashford kent in 1958 and Died In Ashford in 1999.
    Hope that helps :)

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 August 15 08:56 BST (UK) »
Hi. Nice to hear from a New member. Showmen and gypsy are two different type's of travelling folks. Most Romany people have not worked with showmen we have our own language.and tend not to  have intermarriage with other groups.we have many occupations. See if you can flesh out these in your family. Try looking for known Romany names. Camps occupations and marriage.  In your area of research. It may help. There are specific sites for travelling showmen.that may help. I am not saying that you are not of gypsy decent. But you will have to get more info on your family. Should be easy as it's recent. History. If I can help give me a post. Cushty bocht.(good luck) Rob..
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline Nathan Fewins

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 September 20 03:30 BST (UK) »
You are taking about my grandad, I am the son of his only son Michael R Fewins, would love to know the answers to this question also!

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 September 20 16:01 BST (UK) »
 :)
Hi Nathan!

Have you done any research into the family background?

Hi,
  I am trying to trace back where my Gypsy roots actually came from, I know they come from my grandads side Michael Fewins of Ashford kent, who's family at one time worked with a travelling fair. I am struggling to find much info on all this and would love to know where it all started.
 Thanks!

Any idea when?

Patience KEEFE seems to come from a LEE family on her maternal side. (Patience LEE to James KEEFE 1888 Elham).

Kind regards,

Maureen