Author Topic: There`s a story here somewhere?  (Read 1999 times)

Offline hullnow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
There`s a story here somewhere?
« on: Sunday 30 August 15 11:56 BST (UK) »
Having researched my fathers direct parental line I decided to look at the extended family,can`t help it can we!My dads 2x great uncle was a successful builder/master mason in Kirriemuir,a James Watson.Researching him I was able to find his will on the Scotlandspeople site.He had a number of children,and a bequest to his daughter Agnes revealed a mystery.Agnes was married to an Enos Andrew and lived in Stayley,Cheshire.Originally her father left instructions for her to receive £100,but he revoked this 2 years later.She then would receive £50 paid at 10 shillings weekly providing she did not live in Scotland again.The will was changed the year following Agnes`s husband`s death.Maybe her father thought she would return to live with him in Scotland,to look after him as he was almost 92.Perhaps she refused to return.I`ll probably never get to the bottom of this but it all adds to the family history. ???
watson,cross,buchanan.scotland
lummiss.suffolk,e yorks

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: There`s a story here somewhere?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 August 15 12:36 BST (UK) »
- Go on! Find out more! you know you're longing to. and then you can update us on what was the sinister secret.....
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 August 15 12:53 BST (UK) »
My wildly speculative theory is that Agnes was a bit of a wild one and Dad was ashamed of her. While her husband was alive he felt she would stay down south with him. However once her husband died he felt she would probably come back after his own death so he stipulated that she had to stay in England.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 August 15 13:08 BST (UK) »
Just linking to a list of Enos Andrew's musical compositions - he was quite a prolific composer
http://calayton.com/Enos%20Andrew%20the%20Composer.htm
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 August 15 16:41 BST (UK) »
So fascinating! Maybe one day you'll connect with some cousins who know Agnes's side of the story!

Good luck!

Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline hullnow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 February 16 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,I`ve been doing a bit more digging into Agnes`s life.Her husband Enos died March 1899 and it seems that Agnes remarried in 1900 to a Samuel Smith.as her father altered his bequest after this perhaps he felt that a decent period of mourning had not passed.I don`t know what views were held by Scottish gentlemen of the period as regards a suitable time elapsed before a widow remarried.Any thoughts on such would be of interest .
watson,cross,buchanan.scotland
lummiss.suffolk,e yorks

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,I`ve been doing a bit more digging into Agnes`s life.Her husband Enos died March 1899 and it seems that Agnes remarried in 1900 to a Samuel Smith.as her father altered his bequest after this perhaps he felt that a decent period of mourning had not passed.I don`t know what views were held by Scottish gentlemen of the period as regards a suitable time elapsed before a widow remarried.Any thoughts on such would be of interest .

Perhaps he disapproved of the second husband?  Did Agnes have children at the time who might have needed a stepfather's support, and so married again relatively swiftly?
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex