Author Topic: Dilemma over Medals!  (Read 10144 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dilemma over Medals!
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 15:14 BST (UK) »
Actually, I wouldn't separate the various sets, or try to "buy in" ones to fit in with missing ones. Keep the whole lot together. I wouldn't pass it to a museum - recently there was a news item about some "spare" medals being put up for sale by a museum, to fund buying more interesting items!
If a relative has actually known someone during their lifetime, then I would say items would mean more to them than to someone who has not known that person.
You could easily make multiple copies of a good photographic display of the collection as it stands, and send a copy to anyone you are considering as a recipient of the actual items, without mentioning disposal of the originals.
Then sit back and see how each reacts.
The responses you get to that gift may help you to decide where best to bestow the originals - No response, then no interest; grateful thanks, and follow-up questions about things - then onto the shortlist!
Or you could divide memorabilia into lots, and allocate one lot to each, unseen, by drawing lots. I know where that was done with a collection of jewellery, it was divided into smaller collections of approximately equal value by a third party, boxed the same, another person stuck letters at random onto each, and the named recipients each chose a letter, starting with the oldest female, and had to be content with whatever was their lot ... although they did later do some "swaps".
The whole issue sounds to be stressing you so much, is it worth it? Someone is bound to be resentful, and someone delighted, in any case. Relax, and enjoy your research, leave that problem until you are no longer involved in it personally. A lot may change, over time.

Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 00:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your comments ThrefallYorky -

I don't think I'm going to give them to a Museum, the thought of them being sold off to, as you say 'buy more interesting items' horrifies me! There must be plenty already that belonged to distinguished people with an historic tale to tell. I think my Dad is special, but that's to me and my family, as far as I know he didn't do anything more heroic than the next man!

I don't think I would want to draw lots - I'm too much of a control freak to do that! If the draw didn't come out how I thought I'd want it to I wouldn't be able to go through with it! I'm not really as much of a nut as this sounds. I just like things to be correct! My son would say ' just leave it in the to hard box for now mum!'

Your final paragraph has some elements of truth to it! I just want to have it sorted in my own mind what I want to do with it all. We are a small family and there would be no resentment from any of them as they don't have that sort of trait, thankfully.

My son is a sensitive person when it comes to others feelings and has great empathy and is of a generous nature. Even though I've only spoken to my half brother via Skype, on a very regular basis, I can tell from how he talks,reacts and his general demeaner he has the same type of characteristics as my son.

I can't leave it until after my departure as I wouldn't know what had happened to it all! i want whoever has them to be able to appreciate them whilst I was still alive to know they had!

Thanks for your input
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 23:20 BST (UK) »
Okay, and thanks for your thanks. I just thought that if you sent every interested party an image and info on the whole collection, the responses you got may help you to decide who would be the most interested and appropriate recipient of the whole lot.. Try not to worry yourself sideways, over it.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 03 September 15 07:06 BST (UK) »
Responsible museums have aquisition records that note any conditions imposed by the donor. Items can also be placed on long term loan, also with conditions.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 04 September 15 15:29 BST (UK) »
Ah, but from time to time those have been ignored! What may seem like an unimportant widely- available exhibit to a curator strapped for cash, is also a dearly lovely item of family memorabilia that someone wants to keep safe for ever.... It has happened; there was a newspaper report only the other week to that effect, that a set of medals donated to a Museum that were "quite ordinary" had been seen as surplus to requirements, and offered online for sale! I believe it must have been WW1 medals, as later ones don't bear the identifying engraving of the name, do they?

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 04 September 15 17:43 BST (UK) »
Maybe, but I said "responsible" museums.

http://www.museumsassociation.org/download?id=11114

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 06 September 15 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hadn't actually seen that, Imber, thanks. But it does happen, and I seem to recall that the case I heard of was a northern regimental museum, and of course, it greatly upset the donor when the items were pointed out to her as on sale.

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 06 September 15 18:28 BST (UK) »
Yes, that example sounds totally crass.

Imber