Author Topic: Dilemma over Medals!  (Read 10141 times)

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dilemma over Medals!
« Reply #27 on: Monday 31 August 15 15:39 BST (UK) »

That would certainly be a good option,my only thought about getting a replica set would be, well I'm not sure really! I suppose I thought I'd keep the miniatures and give my son a replica set, not sure why. Oh dear this is hard, I've never been able to make decisions! I think my half brother should have the actual large set as he is a 'Guy' and my son is a Wilson. I'll have to sleep on it I think!
[/quote]

That seems a good idea, you have already said your son will have the medals of his paternal grandfather whose surname he bears.

Do you have your father's service records? If not, they can be  ordered from the MOD, had your mother still been alive they would have been free for her, as it is, either you or your half brother can apply for them at a cost of £30. You could then photocopy them and have a copy each.

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/overview
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 31 August 15 15:44 BST (UK) »
        You can buy genuine but second hand ones,  as a lot unfortunately, are now going in "house clearances" I think?                                     

I realise that, which is fine if you are buying them as a collector,  but in this case I can't see the point. Surely the whole idea of passing them on is because they belonged to a member of the family?

I think what you have said is the best idea, Caw. The larger set goes to your half brother and the Guy side of the family, with you keeping the miniatures, that eventually go to your son together with the medals from the Wilson side. From what I understand, when I looked up how much the medals left to me by my uncle were worth, we aren't talking about a fortune, just sentimental value.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 31 August 15 16:12 BST (UK) »

That seems a good idea, you have already said your son will have the medals of his paternal grandfather whose surname he bears.

Do you have your father's service records? If not, they can be  ordered from the MOD, had your mother still been alive they would have been free for her, as it is, either you or your half brother can apply for them at a cost of £30. You could then photocopy them and have a copy each

Yes, I do have my fathers service records, I got them some years ago. That's when I discovered I had half siblings!!!!
 I knew my father had been married before (found that out when he died in 1974) but never knew about the children. I did ask my mother who denied all knowledge, and having now heard what actually happened I know why she would never say anything!! But that's a whole other story. Oh what tangled webs are woven to cover things up making life very difficult to research!!

I had thought I would photo copy the records for my half brother, not sure quite how interested my son would be, I'll have to find out in a roundabout way!! He is 40 in Sept so that's when he's getting his paternal grandfathers medals.

The monetary value of the medals is really immaterial to me I just want to give/leave something to all those that matter to me!
I appreciate everyone's input and it has helped me to make my mind up,over some matters!
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 31 August 15 16:16 BST (UK) »
You don't know what you've got till its gone"

In the words of that song.

I think we all wish we had asked our parents more questions before they departed?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 31 August 15 17:00 BST (UK) »
How right you are!

My greatest sadness is that my father died when I was only 22 and at that age you're not looking behind you.

My mother would never talk about anything that really mattered to me and it's only in the last month I've discovered the truth and do you know what if she'd told me everything I wouldn't have reproached her, after the shock of course, as times,views and opinions change and are more acceptable than 60+ years ago!
It was a great pity as it must have eaten away at her all those years when a burden shared would have halved and I could have helped her.
Still water under the bridge and I have two half siblings that knew all about me and are very warm and generous human beings, just a pity all that time has passed when we could have known one another.
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 31 August 15 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Caw1,
     Please don't split up a set of medals or separate the originals from the citation. You've had the medals since your father's death and you have a son who knew his grandfather to pass them on to.
     I assume your father acquired the miniatures in his lifetime, so are personal to him, unlike replicas that you could buy. Why not have a display case made up using the miniature set along with a good copy of the citation etc. (Make it clear this is a copy either by copying it on a smaller scale or marking it as a copy) Include photographs of your father, especially if you have one of him in uniform and/or wearing his medals. Add details: date of birth, date he enlisted, Regiment he served in etc. Add that the medals are miniatures of the originals (Like the originals, do they have his name around the edge?)
     There are companies that specialize in this type of display and could advise you. Might be costly but personally, I would be delighted to have my grandfather's WW1 medals, even in miniature form, especially presented in such a lovely way. (My grandfather's 'Death Penny' was split from his medals and is now lost, which is why I said, "don't split the set up."
     This is just an example of the type of display I mean.
     www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YOUR-MEDALS-FRAMED-ARMY-NAVY-AIRFORCE-MEDALS-PROFESSIONALLY-FRAMED-FOR-YOU-/221732316539
     Treasure your father's medals. They'll keep his memory alive down the generations.
               Regards,     Dod.

PS. 2nd Hand medals can be easily bought but they will have a soldiers name engraved around the edge.
Added: Some new post while I typed this so display case for either your son or half brother!

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 31 August 15 18:18 BST (UK) »
ecksdochter,

WW2 Medals do not have the recipients name engraved on them, and miniatures are only replicas as the name implies,  in miniature.

P.S.
Personally  I would not put any medals on display,  much better to display a picture and keep the medals  locked in a secure place.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 31 August 15 18:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Dods

Oh dear, now you make me dreadful  - well my son never knew my father.

I do like the idea of making up a case like you suggest using the minatures and the citation and I do have a photograph of him receiving his MBE. I can't see his name around the outside of the minatures and the only one his name is around on the large set is his Palestine 1945-48 medal.The miniatures have always been with the large ones so must have been purchased at the time.

In doing this though - what do I do with the large set and to whom does it all go to!?

I do treasure them all which is why I'm finding it so difficult to decide what to do. I really feel my half brother ought to have something with which to remember our father, maybe thats me being sensitive to his plight as a child!
My son is inheriting my husbands fathers medals as he is the last in line with the surname.I have never spoken to him about my fathers medals and I do have a grandson (daughters child) to whom it could go to as well!!
Decisions,decisions its very hard. I thought I'd got it all sorted in my mind until your message came through!!
Regards
Caroline
P.S. Now I've just seen Jebbers response and yet another view point to also consider!!

Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 31 August 15 18:36 BST (UK) »
I think you need to give yourself time to think, Caroline - there is no rush is there? Presumably, if you do decided to give them to your half brother, you will do so in person when you eventually meet, so take your time in coming to a decision.  Just to throw another spanner into the works, what about your half sister, she might also like them?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk