Author Topic: Dilemma over Medals!  (Read 10143 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Dilemma over Medals!
« Reply #9 on: Monday 31 August 15 13:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jebber & ScouseBoy for you comments

Yes, I agree the Royal Warrent is something special and I do have that. Sadly it has been folded up and I need to try and get it flattened and looking reasonable and framed along with the citation which I've also got.

I will have to make some enquires about trying to find a second hand one, failing that a replica, it was given for military purposes and the citation is really nice to read and makes me feel very proud of my Dad.

Just the dilemma of what to give to whom!!
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 31 August 15 13:20 BST (UK) »
Perhaps the answer to that is who wants it the most and who would appreciate it more? If your son actually knew his grandfather, maybe he would treasure it more than another grandson who hadn't met his grandfather? I know you would give it to your half brother in the first instance,  but eventually it would pass to his son.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 31 August 15 13:23 BST (UK) »
I can't remember if the recipients name is engraved on the back of the medal, I think not. I have checked my late husband's medals, but as they are court mounted (on a stiff backing rather than hanging free) the back cannot be seen.

The only difference is in the ribbon, civilian is pink with narrow silver edges, the military ribbon is the same but  also has a narrow silver stripe down the middle.

If you are going to frame the Warrant, make sure you have light reflective glass for added protection.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 31 August 15 13:30 BST (UK) »
Caroline, I hope it is OK if I pipe in here with some thoughts regarding who you might consider passing the medals to.

I think the answer is "it depends".

It depends on the age of your half brother and whether he is interested in the medal/s. It also depends on whether or not his son has any interest in it/them.

Similar with your son - what is his level of interest and who may he pass it/them on to for safe keeping and so it stays in the family. If your son has been promised the medals would he be upset if you passed one to your half brother?

Is there any relationship between your son and your half brother? How do you think each would feel if the other inherited the medal/s?

I find it difficult to comprehend but I do know that some people have no interest in such things so if it were me I would probably pass it on to the person who I thought would treasure it and most appreciate it.

Presumably your half brother is aware that you have these medals? Have you said anything to him about passing one on to him? If not, might he be satisfied with some photographs of your father and a set of replica medals including the small MBE? I think this would be the option I would go for.  :)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 31 August 15 14:11 BST (UK) »
Oh my goodness! You see what a dilemma it is when you have all come up with so many different scenarios too!!
So let me answer your queries one by one -

Firstly Groom - neither my son nor my half brothers son ever knew our father, he died in 1974.
My half brother only knew him until he was about 7/8 before he left their mother for mine (it's all very complicated!)
I do feel that my half brother would really appreciate my giving it/them to him as he does speak fondly of Dad and says he wished he'd known him better.

Secondly Jebber - it is a military one as it has the silver stripe down the centre of the ribbon.
Thank you for reminding me about the framing of the parchment.

Thirdly Ruskie - my half brother is 71, I've already sent him a copy of the citation which he was very pleased to receive and as mentioned in my comment to Groom his softness for Dad. I have no idea whether his son would be interested but he is the last of male Guy line.

My Son, who will be receiving his grandfathers medals from my husband side as they are all Wilson's, my son the last of that line and he knew his paternal grandfather and was quite attached to him so it will mean something to him to have those. I have said nothing to him about receiving my fathers medals and until I'd only recently found my half brother (after years of searching) he would have had them. My son is a very generous person and I know he wouldn't have an issue with my giving them to my half brother. My son has no one to pass them on to as he has and will not have children. If I did give them to him I would make it a condition that on his death they would be returned to our family and given to my daughters son (my grandson).
My son and half brother haven't ever met, I am also waiting to visit my half brother and sister for the first time soon.

I don't think I've told my half brother I have the medals- and Ive not said anything to any of them about this as I didn't want to until I had decided what to do!

I am looking at the medals now and I have a large set of medals that include the MBE on a long pin and I also have a small set with them all on too.

So I am now wondering whether in fact there is a larger single MBE as well or am I just being remarkably dim?
The large MBE measures 7cm in length excluding the ribbon - does anyone know? Surely there wouldn't have been three pieces would there?
Help!!!

Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 31 August 15 14:25 BST (UK) »

I am looking at the medals now and I have a large set of medals that include the MBE on a long pin and I also have a small set with them all on too.

So I am now wondering whether in fact there is a larger single MBE as well or am I just being remarkably dim?
The large MBE measures 7cm in length excluding the ribbon - does anyone know? Surely there wouldn't have been three pieces would there?
Help!!!

This has now thrown me, initially you said you were missing the MBE, now now  say you have something other than the miniature dress medals. Do you mean you have the large cross shaped insignia? if that is the so, then you have the whole thing and nothing is missing.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 31 August 15 14:37 BST (UK) »
If you attend a Remembrance Day service at your local War Memorial, you could wear the medals on your  right ( the opposite side than the actual recipient)
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 31 August 15 14:42 BST (UK) »
It threw me too! I always thought there was one in a box, and that was what was missing!
So now I have one large cross shaped size 7cm, which is on with a large set of war medals and I've also got a miniature set with the whole lot on.
So what you're saying is that this is ALL there should be and I didn't throw one away and that means I did actually throw away his Masonic medal.
Old age isn't good for one you know. So I could in that case give one of them the large set and one the miniatures or should they be kept together?

You must think I'm a complete imbecile - but how wonderful as I've spent the past years since Mum died pulling the house apart 'looking for it' and feeling dreadful that I'd lost something so sentimentally valuable!!!
Please confirm that it is the case I have it all!! I shall love you for ever!!
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 31 August 15 14:44 BST (UK) »
That would be a wonderful thing to do, I always attend Rememberance Day Service in our Church and it would feel so brilliant to do that. Thanks!
If you attend a Remembrance Day service at your local War Memorial, you could wear the medals on your  right ( the opposite side than the actual recipient)
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK