Author Topic: Information on Queens Head Yard Oswestry  (Read 3587 times)

Offline woodworth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Information on Queens Head Yard Oswestry
« on: Tuesday 12 July 05 19:47 BST (UK) »

Has anyone any pictures or information on Queens Head Yard Oswestry. where  My Mother Josephine Victoria Gentile was born.

Thanks

George Woodworth
Researching: Gentile - Yorkshire, Shrewsbury, Oswestry Chester.  Woodworth - Handbridge Chester. Taylor - Yorkshire and Chester. Ellis - Wrexham. Wraight - Margate Kent

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
Re: Information on Queens Head Yard Oswestry
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 August 05 00:16 BST (UK) »
Hi George,

Don't know if you realise that Queens Head is also an area S/E of Oswestry.

There is a lovely pub there right on the canal - not sure if this is in any way relevant to Queens Head Yard though!!

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline Quoodle

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 September 05 13:51 BST (UK) »
Try http://www.northstararts.co.uk, based in The Mill at Queens Head.

Offline woodworth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 September 05 19:54 BST (UK) »

Thank you for the information, the Queens Head Yard that I am looking for information on seems to be in the area of Beatrice Street and King Street Oswestry.

George Woodworth
Researching: Gentile - Yorkshire, Shrewsbury, Oswestry Chester.  Woodworth - Handbridge Chester. Taylor - Yorkshire and Chester. Ellis - Wrexham. Wraight - Margate Kent

Offline JanieQ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 December 08 23:24 GMT (UK) »
I have only just found this site and was searching through the posts when I found this one. My Great grandmother Mary Jane Hughes nee Jones lived at Queens Head Yard at the time of her marriage in 1880. I believe this Queens Head later became The Queens Hotel. It doesn't exist now after all the 'development' in Oswestry. This would fit with it being in the Beatrice St area.  She died in 1902 aged 42 but I am not able to find a record of her husband, David Hughes death. It's a complete mystery!

I believe his last address was 19 Orchard St, Oswestry. Any information would be gratefully received!

Jayne
Hughes in Oswestry and Ruabon area. Edwards, Vernall, Savage in Sandhurst, Gloucester.
Quince in Derby

Offline woodworth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 December 08 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane,
Following the information, I visited the area and as you say Queens Head Yard  no longer exists. Some of my other relatives lived in Chain Walk which is close by, so I was able to get a good idea. I am not too sure  when my mothers family moved back to Chester, but I know my Italian Great Grandparents both died in Oswestry. Many thanks for the responce I wish you well with your further research.
George